Condensation Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Condensation « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Old_school (Old_school)
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 1245
Posted on Monday, September 21, 2020 - 07:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

DI, This is an old site and most of the guys can't access it anymore. I can and do, but haven't been on in a while. Ventilation is important,no matter what type of house or roof you have. Ideally, it enters at the eave line and exits at the peak. On the older houses that were not designed for that, it is difficult. I am sure that the house didn't have insulation when it was built. That is drafty, and that means it was self ventilating. Can you open some windows in the attic to let air in and out? Perhaps put a fan in one as an exhaust and let another be the intake. That would be a simple fix. Air movement is the key. Let me know more details. Good luck. John Crookston
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Dl1221 (Dl1221)
Username: Dl1221

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, August 27, 2020 - 06:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just purchased a house with a slate roof. Had the interior painted and quickly noticed a water stain in the ceiling of one bedroom, directly above a window AC that had been running while they painted.

I went up into the attic, pulled back the fiberglass insulation, and found the plaster ceiling to be damp. Handyman came in and suggested the vapor barrier on the insulation was the problem; we pulled the insulation out for a few days and ran the AC. Still creating moisture and the water stain is spreading in the bedroom ceiling.

I am confident (perhaps I shouldnít be, but thatís another question) that the issue is the cold air of the bedroom hitting the very hot air of the attic. Given that, I thought adding ventilation might help. As Iíve started researching, Iím reading time and again that slate roofs are naturally ventilating; they breathe.

So...what do I do?! Do I continue thinking about adding ventilation or is that ridiculous with a slate roof? Who do I even talk to about fixing this?

Photo attached is in the attic, looking down at the damp ceiling. You can see the wet spot is darker (on the bottom). I should add, old house, plaster walls and ceiling.

All help appreciated. First time homeowner and already feeling in over my head on this particular problem!

Thanks.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration