Closed Valley Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Closed Valley « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Old_school (Old_school)
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 1241
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2020 - 11:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wow, that is hard core! One thing for sure, you will know that roof upside down and backwards by the time you are finished. It is good that you have the scaffold setup at the bottom of the valley(s) as it is almost impossible to fall off because no matter where you "fall", the platform is always going to be where you end up. I have done several consulting jobs where people wanted to install their own slate roof. They were much bigger projects, with one being the homeowner and his son doing the work, and the other being the building contractor installing the roof with a lot of input from the home owner. I supplied the scaffolding and help set it up, and on both jobs, they did have lifts to get the material up to the roof.
It is encouraging to hear people wanting to do this work. I too love it and have been working on slate roofs for about 45 years now. LEAD ON!

Dan (Dan)
Username: Dan

Post Number: 4
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2020 - 10:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I failed to answer your question about getting the slate to the roof. I have an old backpack that I use - 11 pieces at a time. Its a great workout!

Dan (Dan)

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2020 - 08:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you very much! I read "The Slate Book" by Brian Stearns, Alan Stearns, and John Meyer, as well as Mr. Jenkin's Slate Bible and all of his online information (Thank you very much, Mr. Jenkins).
I had never touched a piece of roof slate before I ordered this NC slate. Our new house is a square house with a full gable on each side which means a valley running up the middle at each corner. In addition, it has a 3' "return roof" on all four sides, a bump-out kitchen with 2.5sq of hip roof, and a partial wraparound porch. All told, it is about 30sq and I am moving at about 30-50sq per evening/night.
I set up scaffold at the bottom of this valley (22' up) and tied a 32' ladder to it. I do have a shock release attached to my harness. One of the guys at work is letting me borrow a retractable to help me keep from tripping over the tether.

Old_school (Old_school)
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 1239
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2020 - 08:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Congratulations! It is perfect! If this is your first time working on slate, you have followed directions to a "T" I have never seen a safety line quite like that one; nor a scaffold system either. It works, but be careful. Normally, there is a tether with a shock release on it so that if you fall you are not yanked too hard. How high is the roof eave from the ground, and how are you getting the material up to where you are working? Very well done!

Dan (Dan)

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2020 - 05:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Another photo showing my progress Roof

Dan (Dan)

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2020 - 05:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am working on my first slate roof (on my house) and would like to confirm that I am doing the valley correctly. I am using 18" random width slate with a few 20" mixed in. The pitch is 8/12. I am using 22ga stainless for the closed valley flashing - 12"x12" placed diagonally. The headlap is 3". This puts a piece of flashing about every 10" going up the valley. Does this all look right to you?
I am using copper nails for the slate, stainless for the flashing.
The pictures shows my redneck method of roof brackets, and the red strap is what it am tied off to.
I must say, I am having a blast!Valley

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration