Some pics of my slate roof Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Some pics of my slate roof « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

hagencoo
Posted on Sunday, November 19, 2006 - 08:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

China Fujian shanyuan culture stone CO.,LTD
Our manufactory is specialize in the production of natural stone.
Our edge products are slates,mosaic stone, Sandstones, Roofing slates, all kinds of

colorful Machine-made cobbles, natural cobbles, beach sand and Rain flower stones etc.we

can provide you different color and specification of the products for your reference.We can

offer lower prices for best quality culture stone products.
We gain the masses of trust from our customers with good service on " lowest price,

most variety, fastest supplying " and have built up reliable prestige in recent years. We

sincerely welcome our new and current customers to visit our company, join cooperation and

exchange guidance.
We put customers on the first forever.By our sincerity in business, we look forward to

creating the fruitful future with you!

Thomas Massie
Posted on Friday, November 03, 2006 - 06:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Google has an image editing program for free called Picasa. Very user friendly and will let you shrink your photos.

Joe Jenkins
Posted on Friday, November 03, 2006 - 11:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I use photoshop to shrink photos. You can "save for web" and then adjust the size so it will load quickly. If you don't have photoshop, you'll have to use whatever photo manipulation program you have.

Stephen J Taran
Posted on Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 05:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

DOES ANYONE NOW HOW TO SHRINK PICS DOWN TO POST THEM i HAVE SEVERAL BUT THEY ARE TO LARGE TO POST??

Stephen J Taran
Posted on Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 12:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Very Nice roof Jim, glad to see you are happy with the slate.
Stephen J Taran Jr.
www.usedslate.com

Joe Jenkins
Posted on Tuesday, October 31, 2006 - 11:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Beautiful roof.

Jim Korczak
Posted on Friday, October 27, 2006 - 10:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Thomas. The slate varies in thickness from 1/4" to 1/2". I have even pulled a few out of the pallets that were almost 3/4" thick!!! Those do not go on the roof. Most are 5/16-3/8 thick. The infinitely variable texture and the variable thickness results in a fantastic looking roof, IMO. The pictures look good, but you really have to see it in person to get the full effect. I need to take some pics when it is wet from a rain shower or dew. That really makes the texture pop.

As an aside, the original c.1815 portion of the house has roof timbers that are 3+" x 5+" on 24" centers. When the c.1860 addition was put up, they used full 2"x6" rafters on 24" centers. The original timbers are as solid and straight as the day they were put up. The 2x6 timbers twisted quite a bit over the last 140 years. Before I put the new slate up, I sistered all the 2x6 timbers with another 2x6, spiked every 18" or so. I am really glad I did that, given the increased weight of the VAB slate over the PA Grey Bed that I took off. One of the 9x18 VAB slates weighs as much or more than one of the 12x24x3/16" thick PAGB slates.

The roof on the new addition (the portion past the chimney in the pics) is framed with 2x10s 16" O.C. It is decked with reused old growth pine 1x6 battens. Pretty damn solid.

BTW, the chimney flashing was my first ever attempt at it. No leaks!

Thanks to Joe and the SRB for the inspiration and information!

Peace.

Jim K in PA
www.pennbrookfarm.com

Thomas Massie
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2006 - 05:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jim,

That looks awesome. How thick is that slate? I love the texture.

-Thomas

Jim Korczak
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2006 - 01:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have not posted any pictures here regarding my slate roof project, despite talking about it for the last couple of years. More pictures of the entire project are on my web site. Here are a couple for your viewing pleasure.

This is a view of the overall east facing roof. The slate is all salvaged VA Buckingham sourced via Steve Taran. The snow catchers are from M.J. Mullane.

East roof detail

Snow catchers

east roof gable end

Jim K in PA
www.pennbrookfarm.com

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration