White Deposit On Slate Roof Underside Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » White Deposit On Slate Roof Underside « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Old_school (Old_school)
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 1234
Posted on Monday, August 12, 2019 - 07:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Maybe its a silly question, but did they blow some cellulose insulation into the attic? What is the ventilation like? Old School
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Rag (Rag)
Username: Rag

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, July 31, 2019 - 05:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello:

I am a CT home inspector purchasing a 1930's house with a slate roof in Burlington, VT. I hired a local inspector as "another set of eyes" and I worked alongside him this morning. I have no experience with slate roofs.

We discovered a situation in the attic that we were unable to sort out.

There was some white powdery deposits in the attic on the underside of the tongue-in-groove roof decking. It looks like efflorescence, it could be mold or it might be something completely different. There were not any active leaks observed and all was dry when tested with the moisture meter. Photos attached.

Can anyone with slate roof experience provide some insight as to what might be going on here?

Thanks in advance for your help!

-- Rob --

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration