Valley top leaking??? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Valley top leaking??? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Milo (Milo)
Advanced Member
Username: Milo

Post Number: 44
Posted on Wednesday, March 29, 2017 - 08:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here is a video , found on this site under "Videos", that I think demonstrates one way of doing what I think you are asking.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=D40axEpacqU&feature=youtu.be

MILO
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Stumpfarm (Stumpfarm)
Username: Stumpfarm

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, March 29, 2017 - 01:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

New here. I have read the slate roof bible and am still confused about how the top of two valleys keeps water from getting under the ridge cap (metal cap or slate). I understand that you can fold the two valley flashings over each other and then have the cap run over that, but I don't understand what is supposed to keep water from running down the roof and under the ridge slates (or metal cap)? The pictures are of my 1850's cottage and I have leaking into the attic space right around this transition. Looks like awhile back someone tried to caulk under the ridge slates to prevent water from getting under the cap, but I'm looking for a permanent fix and information about historical practice here. I'll be installing a reclaimed peach bottom slate roof on my farm property and want to get it right. Thank you
copper valley top transition

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration