Is this Peach Bottom or PA Gray slate? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Is this Peach Bottom or PA Gray slate? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Cindy (Cindy)
Username: Cindy

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2018 - 03:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No doubt these are still best and preferable by roofers

Thanks
----------------------------------------------
Dimensional Roofing & Diagnostics,LLC
http://dimensionalrfg.com/

Roger122 (Roger122)
Username: Roger122

Posted on Friday, March 24, 2017 - 07:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello Dan,

Those Pennsylvania Cathedral Gray slates will last long - Roofers Austin
<a href="http://www.dimensionalroofingusa.com/">Roofers Austin</a>

John_chan (John_chan)
Username: John_chan

Post Number: 181
Posted on Tuesday, February 07, 2017 - 10:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Dan,

Those appear to be Pennsylvania Cathedral Gray slate. It's a very, very good Pennsylvania slate that is quite long lasting and generally sold to high end projects like "Cathedrals".

Milo (Milo)
Advanced Member
Username: Milo

Post Number: 42
Posted on Tuesday, February 07, 2017 - 09:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Those appear to be very nice slates, I doubt you will find better used (or perhaps even new).

Old_school (Old_school)
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 1201
Posted on Sunday, February 05, 2017 - 08:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dan, Even at $200.00 a square for used slates, IF they are peach Bottom or Buckinghams, that is a good price. Way cheaper than new. What a lot of people don't realize is taht it takes a lot longer to install the smaller slates than the bigger ones. However, since you are working on a small house, they will match a lot better as far as scale goes. As far as the wood goes, you can just install the roof decking green and that will be perfect for the slate. Don't worry about trying to dry it. You can use green oak if you want and that would be even better. Green wood is not as hard and it will be easier to drive the nails. Don't try it with dried oak however.

You have the right idea. Have fun with it and ask us any questions you may have. If you have Joe's book and understand it, you are almost home already. good luck!

Danfrontier (Danfrontier)
Username: Danfrontier

Post Number: 3
Posted on Sunday, February 05, 2017 - 02:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Old school - the seller says they are 12 x 14 inches. I did some estimating by looking at the photos. I guessed there was about 6 inches of exposure based on the coloration changes from weathering.

If this is accurate, that means that each slate would cover a 12 x 6" exposed area and it would take two slates to cover a square foot. He wants a dollar a piece, so thats $200/ a square (if those estimates are accurate) That sounds crazy expensive for a kids play house or shed roof but I surely could never afford to put one on my house. So if I'm going to do slate anywhere, its on this kind of a project.

I'm planning and dreaming about some summer projects to help me pass the dreary winter. I've bought the 2nd Edition of the Slate Roof Bible and am excited to try slating.

The problem with doing home improvement projects is they always end up costing more than I ever initially estimate. I know solid wood roof decking will also be more expensive than plywood. I've been told I can get a decent price on rough sawn green poplar at a local Amish sawmill. I just have to sticker it, and let it dry before using it. Even if our budget doesn't allow me to build the playhouse this summer, I might just buy these slates while I can and store them for another year.

Old_school (Old_school)

Post Number: 1200
Posted on Saturday, February 04, 2017 - 10:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dan, Yes, I am sure you are not going to be hurt if you buy them. They look to be either the Peach Bottom or Buckinghams. They both look quite a bit alike at that age. You didn't say how big they are or how much the guy is asking for the 2 squares. that could make a difference. Looking at the deck boards they are laying on, I would say that they are 12 x 20's The wear pattern on them looks like they were laid with about a 5 inch head lap. `2 squares with a 3 inch head lap is about 200 pieces FYI

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, February 04, 2017 - 03:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I contacted the seller today and he doesn't know the history of the slate or how hold they are. All he could tell me is he bought them about 10 yrs ago, and he has had them stored under roof for the past 10 yrs. He doesn't know how old they are.

Old school - Even factoring in the fact that their age is unknown, would you agree that the are in good shape for used slates? I'm a total novice but they look pretty good to me. Do you agree?

Old_school (Old_school)

Post Number: 1199
Posted on Saturday, February 04, 2017 - 08:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Very possible! If they have been on a roof for 100 years and they look like that, they will be around for another 200 years until your kids are great grand parents twice over. I would jump all over that one.

Posted on Friday, February 03, 2017 - 09:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Found these used slates listed for sale elsewhere. They were suggesting they be used for arts and crafts projects. I'm wondering if they might be Peach Bottom slate because of their dark color. Seller does not list age, but I'd guess they are around 100 yrs old.

I'm considering buying about 2 squares worth for a possible kids play house roof. I'd like to try slating a roof for fun, and a kids play house or shed seems like a good place to start.

Thanks for your help.Slates to identifyslates to identify2Slates to identify3slates to identify4slates to identify5slates to identify6slates to identify 7

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration