Does this flashing need to be replaced? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Does this flashing need to be replaced? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Sethr (Sethr)
Username: Sethr

Post Number: 7
Posted on Saturday, April 04, 2015 - 11:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It has been a record-breaker for snow.... that is for sure!

I really appreciate your comments. Thanks! Saved me some money I think ;-)

Old_school (Old_school)
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 1103
Posted on Friday, April 03, 2015 - 08:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No, it is a lot of work to take out the slates and take out the flashings. DRY ROT ON BRICKS? UNDER AN OVERHANG? I would just tell them that you just got a new set of MUFFLER BEARINGS, so you don't need no frigging flashings. Are these people that hard up for work?

Thank them for their efforts and take the $3,000 that they are trying to get you to throw away and catch a flight down to the Caribbean for a vacation. I hear it has been a rough winter in Boston. good luck!

Sethr (Sethr)

Post Number: 6
Posted on Friday, April 03, 2015 - 08:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Understood.... they don't currently leak, but my roof guy says that the tar they applied is dry-rotting my brick. Thoughts?

Also, just out of curiosity - does $100/ft seem like a crazy quote to replace that step flashing?

Thanks for all of your assistance.

Old_school (Old_school)

Post Number: 1102
Posted on Friday, April 03, 2015 - 05:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Where are located? Sorry, I see you are in the Boston area. From the picture, there is nothing wrong with the slates. The flashings are beneath the overhang, so no water can ever get to them. I can't say for sure, but perhaps they are talking about installing a counter/flashing over the part of the flashings on the wall. Not a good picture. Again, the question I am asking is does it leak? If it doesn't leak, I would say leave it alone. How does "FREE" sound?

Sethr (Sethr)

Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, April 03, 2015 - 11:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Should be deleted now.... not sure how that picture got in there :-)

Here is the step flashing I was referring to;

http://i631.photobucket.com/albums/uu35/rosen431/IMG_2869_zpse2qiydkl.jpg

Old_school (Old_school)

Post Number: 1100
Posted on Thursday, April 02, 2015 - 07:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

First of all, what flashing? That is a copper apron along the bottom of the roof designed to shed the water when you have ice buildup in the winter. Does it leak? If not, leave it alone. secondly, you have two rows of slate and then it butts to the wall with a lead coated copper flashing. Above that, you have a wood shingle siding system. Does that leak? If not, leave it alone. thirdly, there is no valley in those pictures. It looks like some very sound slates abutting a vertical wall with the same wood shingle siding, It is too dark underneath there in the picture, but it looks like there are no "bumps" and I doubt if it leaks. Does it leak? If not leave it alone. Lastly, if those guys screw with you, pull out your pistol and blow them away. Why are you showing that? Good luck!

Sethr (Sethr)

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, April 02, 2015 - 11:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So I've now been told all of this flashing is worn out and needs to be replaced. Is that an accurate assessment based on these pictures?

Also, any other problems I should be aware of?
How does the slate look? Identification?
Does that snow guard look OK? Or worn out?

And the dreaded question - how much should those flashings cost (Boston, MA area)?

Here are the pictures;

http://i631.photobucket.com/albums/uu35/rosen431/32C39C9C-C938-4B33-9ADF-4AA7689 F54CA_zpsajhrxrqq.jpg

http://i631.photobucket.com/albums/uu35/rosen431/7389308D-F23C-4C5A-9C00-3CB6300 1DF8D_zpsgk9y11wl.jpg

http://i631.photobucket.com/albums/uu35/rosen431/5F3F3D3C-3FC8-46D1-BA90-98FF169 50814_zpsc6tw7ajn.jpg

http://i631.photobucket.com/albums/uu35/rosen431/67E42AA8-3884-4471-A624-826359E 1CFF5_zpsevvj0np0.jpg

http://i631.photobucket.com/albums/uu35/rosen431/IMG_2869_zpse2qiydkl.jpg (this is the valley I posted before. I got a quote to replace those step flashings at $100/foot)

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration