Star Pattern Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Star Pattern « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jafi (Jafi)
Username: Jafi

Post Number: 29
Posted on Tuesday, February 18, 2014 - 08:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I went for it this weekend and I think it turned out pretty good. Moved snow guards around a little so they would not ruin the looks of the star pattern. Thanks all for your help. I will post a picture as soon as I finish the ridge.

Old_school (Old_school)
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 1048
Posted on Friday, February 14, 2014 - 10:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do they look "puckered" up?

Jafi (Jafi)

Post Number: 28
Posted on Friday, February 14, 2014 - 01:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So where you slip in the two slates that form the triangles on the second row, you actually have two slates laying on top of each other (doubled up)? I know that Slate_Man indicated using thin slates. Does this cause those slates to pucker up, or is it not that noticeable? How far do you extend it past the underlying slate, or do you nail through the underlying slate.

Thanks for all the advice!

Joe (Joe)
Username: Joe

Post Number: 817

Posted on Friday, February 14, 2014 - 12:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lay them out all the same color and shape, substitute the appropriate color where needed, then cut each one to the shape you see. It's simpler than it seems. The bottom two light colored triangles (the lower triangles to the right and left of the red slates) are slipped in to complete the shape.

Slate_man (Slate_man)
Username: Slate_man

Post Number: 779
Posted on Tuesday, February 11, 2014 - 07:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

All are the same size! Dry layout on ground buy course. Course are all the same.
1.Uncut black slate.
2.Black clip corner and one diamond green slate.
3.Lay uncut (Thin!!)green slate over the black that have the clipped corner slate, then install 2 red diamond, then 2 black slate that are half diamond cut/clip corners, those 4 slates will side lap the green and may site a like wobbly. I would suggest the thinnest greens you can find.

Note- The 2 green can be 2 inch shorter if you want. The red and black will need additional holes punched for nails, if you cut down the green this will make it possible to punch a hole high on these slate and nail on both the left and right side of the slate.

4.Then 3 diamond cut green slate, these also will be good to be thinner slate.
5. Black slate 2 will be cut to finish the diamond or star point at top.

This is really the best I can do without being there to show you. Thanks.

(Message edited by Slate man on February 11, 2014)

Jafi (Jafi)

Post Number: 27
Posted on Monday, February 10, 2014 - 05:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

All the slates I have are 8 x 14. Do I need some that are extra long or wide? Still having trouble with visualizing the second row. The two greens on the second row look like they are lined up with the row below. Do the filler pcs lie on top of the row below, but are cut short?

Slate_man (Slate_man)

Post Number: 778
Posted on Monday, February 10, 2014 - 07:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am not sure of any, or do I have the time to do so right know. To add to my comment earlier, the 2 green on the 2 course are fillers and are side lap not just buy the black but the 2 red on that same course. The best thing for you to do is cut your slate, into the different shapes and to do a dry run on the ground!

Jafi (Jafi)

Post Number: 26
Posted on Saturday, February 08, 2014 - 12:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

New to slating and trying to do this pattern to make my children happy. I have not used filler pcs before, so I would like to get a diagram to help me visualize how to install them, or if you know where I can find information on how to do it.

Slate_man (Slate_man)

Post Number: 777
Posted on Saturday, February 08, 2014 - 07:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The two side green pcs (Are filler Pcs!!) on second course are SIDE lapped buy the two black slate on that same course. The rest is strait forward.

Jafi (Jafi)

Post Number: 25
Posted on Sunday, February 02, 2014 - 02:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Trying to duplicate a star pattern on roof with colored slates. I was trying to duplicate the one in the attached pattern, but now I canít figure out how they did it. It looks like the seams for two rows are right above each other? Has anyone done a star before? If so can you help me with the layout.

Thanks
Star pattern

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration