1ST ATTEMPT INSTALLING A SLATE ROOF Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » 1ST ATTEMPT INSTALLING A SLATE ROOF « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Don Gerhardt
Posted on Thursday, September 28, 2006 - 12:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Melba,
Is the copper ridge row you have for sale the 16 oz. 2 " round ridge? How much do you want for 100 feet?
Don Gerhardt
djgerhardt@aol.com
Tel 336-766-8381

melba Hansley
Posted on Tuesday, September 05, 2006 - 02:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank You

We have almost completed the roof and its looking good. Thank you and Walter for the slate bible and all of your responses. We have 600 feet of copper ridge row anyone need it, were taking all offers.

Joe Jenkins
Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 06:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You don't need the 1x4 at all. You can butt cap slates at the ridge, but you end up with face nails on the ridge, unless you install a saddle ridge. One style of ridge includes a strip of flashing folded over the ridge, then covered by the ridge slates. The ridge slates are face-nailed and the nails penetrate the flashing too, so you have to caulk the flashing under the slates prior to nailing in order to create a seal. It's not the ideal way to make a slate ridge.

When butting slates at the ridge, you may have to install shims (narrow pieces of slate) under the top edge of the cap slates to make sure they lay flat after nailing. You can't do this if the slates are installed over top of flashing, however.

melba Hansley
Posted on Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 11:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

At the ridge line can two slates meet from each side and can I use step flashing and then use ridge caps or should I always use the 1X4

Joe Jenkins
Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 06:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Don't use screws. Remember that the roof must be installed in such a manner that it can be taken apart for future maintenance.

melba Hansley
Posted on Wednesday, August 16, 2006 - 08:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, I have the book, and it's pretty informative, however can we use 1-1/2 stainless steel, brass or copper screws instead of the copper nails?

Joe Jenkins
Posted on Monday, August 07, 2006 - 12:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Have you had a look at the Slate Roof Bible (http://www.jenkinsslate.com/store_books.html#srb)?

Walter Musson
Posted on Sunday, August 06, 2006 - 02:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Melly,
I've just sent you some pictures.
You can e-mail me if you have questions about them.
Best regards,Walter

melba Hansley
Posted on Sunday, August 06, 2006 - 12:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank You WM. I'm planning to install it with the help of my brother. It is 70 square on a 6 /12 pitch roof. We have only installed a tile roof before, and have no experience with slate.

Walter Musson
Posted on Sunday, August 06, 2006 - 06:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Melba,
I'm going to send you some Shutterfly albums showing the details of the situations you've asked about.
Are you doing the install yourself? Or just being aware of proper technique so you can tell your contractor how you want it done?

melba Hansley
Posted on Saturday, August 05, 2006 - 09:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'VEE SEEN ALL OF THE INFORMATION FROM THE WESITE REGARDING SLATE ROOFS, BUT CAN ANYONE PROVIDE STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTION ON HOW TO INSTALL THE ROOF PROPERLY. I'M CONCERNED WITH VALLEY'S AND FLASHING AROUND THE FIREPLACE

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration