Slate roof Latin inscription Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Slate roof Latin inscription « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Cpaulin (Cpaulin)
Intermediate Member
Username: Cpaulin

Post Number: 33
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2013 - 10:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Near Medina, Ohio.

Old_school (Old_school)
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 950
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2013 - 08:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nice looking job. My problem is that I have no idea whether you spelled it correctly or not. Corse, I cain't spel in Latin! Where is it at?

Cpaulin (Cpaulin)
Username: Cpaulin

Post Number: 29
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2013 - 12:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The owner's wife is a high school Latin teacher. When they initially contacted me, I told them they contacted exactly the right roofer: one of my degrees is in Latin.

The owner purchased the barn for 600 USD, numbered all the pieces, disassembled it, moved it 5 miles down the road to his property, reassembled it, and paid 1000 USD to have it slated in a weekend (slates were shot on with a nail gun...).

We came back several years later to fix many broken or fallen slates and the inscription, which is from the reverse of the Great Seal of the United States and can be found on the US one dollar bill. It means "Providence smiles upon our beginnings".

Thanks to Barry Smith for the fine hard black slates we used to form the inscription.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration