Question on slate hanging method Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Question on slate hanging method « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Joe (Joe)
Username: Joe

Post Number: 737
Posted on Tuesday, October 23, 2012 - 11:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Slate Roof Consulting Services

John_chan (John_chan)
Username: John_chan

Post Number: 120
Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2012 - 01:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Steve,

I'm in New Orleans, about 5.5 hours away.

http://www.durableslate.com/certifiedroofconsultant.html

John Chan
The Durable Slate Company
www.durableslate.com
jchan@durableslate.com
504-717-1318

Stevel (Stevel)
Username: Stevel

Post Number: 5
Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2012 - 11:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are there any competent slate roof inspectors nearby Houston, TX? I could really use some professional help.

Cpaulin (Cpaulin)
Username: Cpaulin

Post Number: 24
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2012 - 12:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You need to get a different contractor that knows how to work with slate: the one that did this work has no clue.

Old_school (Old_school)
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 881
Posted on Sunday, September 02, 2012 - 08:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The finest roof in the world is a POS if it is not applied correctly. Where are you located? It might be wise to have someone come and inspect it and give you a report. I am sure that someone in the organization is close enough to look at it without breaking the bank. I know that Joe does that all of the time all over the country.

It is just frustrating to see those types of mistakes made when the information is out there for the taking as it were.

Stevel (Stevel)

Post Number: 4
Posted on Sunday, September 02, 2012 - 12:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There are a number of other issues with the roof too. A couple of fields with less than the 3" headlap specified in the contract, a bunch of places with less than 3" side lap between the starter and first course, and places with missing flashing between the roof and bricks & wood beams.

We are in the process now of working on a plan to fix these issues. The roofer has agreed to fix the areas with inadequate headlap, and to install 20 oz. copper bibb flashings where the side laps are less than 3" on the first course.

There is still disagreement on the flashings between slates & bricks / wood beams, and no reply yet on the slots cut for nail holes.

Thank you for the educational information on the website, without it I would not have been aware of any of these things.

Omm (Omm)
Username: Omm

Post Number: 25
Posted on Saturday, September 01, 2012 - 03:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Not only is that plain lazey, the last corse has more reveal then the other courses. No layout skills! !!!!

Omm (Omm)
Username: Omm

Post Number: 24
Posted on Saturday, September 01, 2012 - 03:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Not only is that plain lazey, the last corse has more reveal then the other courses. No layout skills! !!!!

Joe (Joe)
Username: Joe

Post Number: 713
Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2012 - 08:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here's another video showing how to punch a hole in roofing slate: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTLDjbt5EcI&feature=share&list=PLCAFA8B61D36361D8

Cutting heavy roofing slates with a slate hammer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VAzhh1nk6s&feature=share&list=UU8b17qa97mMpBHJbO moUDlw

Cutting heavy roofing slates with a Stortz Genuine Slate Cutter: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWyBMT5xwoM&feature=share&list=UU8b17qa97mMpBHJbO moUDlw

Cutting standard thickness roofing slates with a Stortz 95FB slate cutter (which also punches holes): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_VGXIs-Q24&feature=share&list=PLCAFA8B61D36361D8

Old_school (Old_school)

Post Number: 879
Posted on Saturday, August 25, 2012 - 10:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If they haven't been paid yet, I would. Can you inspect it? Who was in charge of the project? Do they know anything? Lots of questions there.

All they had to do was ask and we would have told them. With the internet, I feel there is no excuse for not getting the information. You found us didn't you?

Stevel (Stevel)

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2012 - 09:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This particular area is a small section of roof below a dormer.

My concern is I suspect this technique has been used at all the peaks, and tops of fields where the high slope slate sections transition to a low slope copper top of roof - in other words all around the roof.

I'm looking for advice to know if I should require any areas with this method be stripped off and replaced with slates punched or drilled.

Old_school (Old_school)

Post Number: 877
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2012 - 07:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is that a wall or the area of roof below a dormer? Either way, it is not the correct way to do the job.

Stevel (Stevel)

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2012 - 10:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I found a few nails lying around. They are 8d 1-3/4" long. The dia. of the head is 3/8"

The decking is 3/4" plywood. The slates are Vermont 20" long, random widths up to 12", thickness 1/2 to 5/8".

Slate_man (Slate_man)
Username: Slate_man

Post Number: 760
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2012 - 07:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is how slate should be punched and the traditional way of cutting it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xocFLCLO10

Scottishslater (Scottishslater)
Username: Scottishslater

Post Number: 140
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2012 - 01:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

nails should be countersunk and the heads of the nails look to small

Stevel (Stevel)

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2012 - 11:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello, I have a question on a method for hanging slates that are field cut to length so don't have the factory punched nail holes.

I'm having a new house built, and the contractor has used a cutting disc to cut the slates to length at the tops of sections, and used the same cutting disc to machine a slot into the slate for nailing.

Is this an acceptable method?

Slots

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration