Estimate for enormous residential roof Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Estimate for enormous residential roof « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Charlie (Charlie)
Username: Charlie

Post Number: 9
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2012 - 10:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Update re: house. The plan is on hold as one of my friend's siblings is terminally ill. I had a few emails outstanding regarding this that I haven't gotten to recently because I didn't think it was right to talk about this project when he needs me to just be a friend now. Hope you all understand and I will update as things change.

Charlie (Charlie)

Post Number: 8
Posted on Tuesday, January 24, 2012 - 10:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I certainly agree and, as also I noted earlier to someone in private, I was amazed and impressed that so many people would also suggest other fellow contractors. It shows a great amount of love and pride for this profession and craft. The impossible sort of seems possible once some rough numbers come in.

Old_school (Old_school)
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 776
Posted on Tuesday, January 24, 2012 - 06:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Interesting, Charlie; you have went from a vague description of a house on the east coast to detailed estimates in 15 posts and 5 days. That says a lot about the quality of the people on this site.

Omm (Omm)
Username: Omm

Post Number: 20
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2012 - 09:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"Charlie - like Chris, I was able to identify the structure and have had a
measured roof report done by Eagleview.com which I'd like to provide to
you along with a complimentary consultation and an engineered estimate of
cost. Please contact me directly at Ward@WardHamilton.com to discuss."

Thanks

Charlie (Charlie)

Post Number: 7
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2012 - 09:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've sent information to everyone who provided an email address in this thread.

John_chan (John_chan)
Username: John_chan

Post Number: 97
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2012 - 05:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Charlie,

Yes we can convert them if you would like a price from us. We've installed slate roofs all over the Eastern United States. You can e-mail me at jchan@durableslate.com or call us at 800-666-7445.

John Chan
The Durable Slate Co.
www.durableslate.com

Charlie (Charlie)

Post Number: 6
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2012 - 03:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have AutoCAD files with scales on them for measurements. Can anyone receive these or do I have to convert them?

Branden_wilson (Branden_wilson)
Username: Branden_wilson

Post Number: 104
Posted on Saturday, January 21, 2012 - 10:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

im here if your interested in the free market.

REAL SLATER

Old_school (Old_school)

Post Number: 769
Posted on Friday, January 20, 2012 - 05:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Charlie, you are in good hands!

Charlie (Charlie)

Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, January 20, 2012 - 03:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

All those interested in help/discussing, please bear with me... I am preparing some fairly accurate elevations and measurements so that there is no confusion as to the size/scale of the work needed. Thank you!

Slate_man (Slate_man)
Username: Slate_man

Post Number: 697
Posted on Friday, January 20, 2012 - 09:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Feel free to e-mail me the info at liamtower@slateaffair.com or liamtower@slateroofers.org.

Charlie (Charlie)

Post Number: 4
Posted on Friday, January 20, 2012 - 12:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is there any way to show a CAD file? I'm trying to convert to PNG or JPG but can't get strong enough line weights that all of the valleys, ridges and measurements show.

Charlie (Charlie)

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, January 20, 2012 - 12:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh, wow. That's it. I really don't want to discuss it in such a way that it's public so I'd prefer not to mention the name although the pic is okay.

Old_school, the house is about 40,000 square feet, two stories in one half and three in the other. The three story section has an extensive flat roof with the mansard surrounding it. It does leak but there aren't as many leaks as before. A few bad valleys but also some prominent sections of exposed decking!

A lot of the ridges are actually in really great shape. The bulk of the dormers are good too although there is some wearing along the interface of the roof and dormers where the copper tucks in under the slate. The gutters on a few sides are bad.

Chris, how did you know? Or just a very lucky guess?

(Message edited by Charlie on January 20, 2012)

Chris (Chris)
Username: Chris

Post Number: 122
Posted on Thursday, January 19, 2012 - 09:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

kind of like this?

Old_school (Old_school)

Post Number: 768
Posted on Thursday, January 19, 2012 - 08:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Charlie, If the roof is 120 years old and the slate is from Pennsylvania, I would venture to guess it is Molson. Does it leak? Without pictures or dimensions it is hard to say what it will cost, but with the price of copper and from what you describe I could imagine $3,500.00 to $4,000.00 a square. If it is 200 squares, that would put you in the range of $700,000 to $800,000 sight unseen. How big is "really big"?

I am in Michigan and I have no desire to travel, so It is out of my league. Others on the forum may think differently a they are closer. Give more information.

Charlie (Charlie)

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, January 19, 2012 - 07:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello everyone,

I've kind of lurked around these forums on and off for a long time and I come here today looking for a bit of information.

A friend of mine is looking at a very large and very historic house that has an enormous slate roof. From the eaves up to the highest ridge is easily twenty feet. The roof itself is Pennsylvania slate with all of the original copper flashing, ridgework and copper- and slate-clad dormers.

The roof is also 120 years old and has never been replaced. It is located in a seaside resort community in New England.

What I am trying to figure out is a very, very rough estimate of what it would cost to replace the roof in its entirety. The thing that could make or break this potential venture is it will cost hundreds of thousands of dollars (surely) or run into millions.

This house doesn't have a future intact unless a person, such as this one, who loves it very much steps in to restore it. In fact, people that I know of now are only interested in gutting/dismantling it and then either totally renovating the house or tearing it down.

There are other reasons also why it isn't possibly to formally bring people in until and if a decision is made to acquire (which, circularly, depends on figuring out a ball park replacement cost.

I have pretty detailed measurements, drawings and photos of the roof. I can provide them and the approximate location so would it be worth seeing if we can figure out where it falls in the six or seven figure range?

Thanks!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration