Slate on a monitor style roof Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Slate on a monitor style roof « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Old_school (Old_school)
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 760
Posted on Friday, January 06, 2012 - 08:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

With a shop upstairs?

Coulson (Coulson)
Username: Coulson

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, January 05, 2012 - 10:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the picture. That is quite a bit bigger that I was thinking (not sure if the wife would approve of those plans)!
But the shape is generally right.
OldSchool, I would like to heat it eventually, but it would not be a necessity initially.
I was thinking of something more like this:
sample picture

Old_school (Old_school)

Post Number: 758
Posted on Thursday, January 05, 2012 - 09:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Liam, I picture is worth a thousand words. Thanks. Put some ice guards on the upper roof. It should not be that big a deal. Are you going to heat it?

Slate_man (Slate_man)
Username: Slate_man

Post Number: 696
Posted on Thursday, January 05, 2012 - 01:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Old_school (Old_school)

Post Number: 757
Posted on Wednesday, January 04, 2012 - 09:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What is a "monitor" style? Is it like a second story with windows? Not sure what you are talking about.

Coulson (Coulson)
Username: Coulson

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, January 04, 2012 - 04:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As winter keeps settling in and I continually have to scrape the windshield on my car each morning, I am envisioning the construction of a nice garage / shop this spring.
I like the monitor style of roofs because of the additional storage and the barn-like appearance. I would really like to put on a slate roof, but I can't recall ever seeing slate on this style of roof. Is there a reason for this, is it just a bad idea?
I imagine that snow guards would be needed on the upper sections to prevent the impact of snow and ice falling the few feet from the upper section onto the lower parts.
Are there other aspects that I am not thinking of that make slate on a monitor roof a bad idea? Should I just look at gambrel styles instead?

Thanks!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration