Roof plane and gutters Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Roof plane and gutters « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Joe (Joe)
Username: Joe

Post Number: 664
Posted on Sunday, January 01, 2012 - 01:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The simplest solution may be to just install the Berger retrofit snowguards. The stainless ones are pretty reasonably priced at $6.99 [http://josephjenkins.com/store/snow-guard-berger-sgsp100-stainless-steel-profess ional-retrofit.html] and they're pretty easy to install. Adding extension shanks would work too, but it would take a lot longer and be a pain to do.

Macj (Macj)
Username: Macj

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, January 01, 2012 - 08:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The installation was done by a local roofer. They've done a careful and safe job. I'm perplexed why they didn't set the gutters below the slope as everything else has been professional, they are experienced with this type of job (I visited past jobs), excellent references, detailed bid, etc. I will be talking with them this week. And yes, I'm kicking myself for not checking this sooner. Live, learn and go bankrupt working on this old house, I suppose.

I'm trying to educate myself on whether there is a problem, and the best solution/compromise to fix it.

I was planning to install snow guards anyway due to falling snow near a walkway. We'd use the Berger Brothers' retrofit snow guard (SGCP100) that slides under the slates to catch nails. It'd probably be six rows as recommended by Berger on the whole main roof and dormers. Do these guards work well in practice?

The gutters, shanks & hangers are Berger. They used 6 inch half-round copper attached with deck shanks (#11?) and C hanger bolted to the shank. The slates were removed, deck repaired, then shanks, copper drip edge, cant strip and slates re-installed.

One solution I'm pondering is installing Berger's extension shank between the roof shank and the hanger. The plan would be to dismantle the gutters, reuse the roof shanks (without messing with the slates), attach extensions, and then re-install the gutters. I'd also try to reuse the gutter itself (way too expensive to trash it!), although the 6 inch gutter size might be a problem in getting it low enough. Also, each hanger's clip was soldered to the gutter lip (I guess this avoids it popping off?), which might complicate the removal without damage.

Is it feasible in your experience to take apart the gutters without damaging everything, and then re-install? The house is a four square, so there are only four soldered corners.

Thanks again!

Old_school (Old_school)
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 754
Posted on Sunday, January 01, 2012 - 12:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Who did the installation? Is it a roof mounted system? Is it by any chance a classic gutters roof mounted system? If it is, you could just let all of the brackets down by lowering the nuts above and below the bracket. if it is a Berger bros. system, i am afraid you are out of luck. It will tear off in the first big snow. Snow guards will help, but the slate is already on and they are hard to install after the fact. Maybe Zaleski retro-fits? They are about $20.00 each and you will need a lot of them. good luck.

Macj (Macj)
Username: Macj

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, December 31, 2011 - 10:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a new half round copper gutter installation on a slate roof. Alas, the outside lip of the gutter is well above the plane of the roof. The work is completed. The installation is good otherwise.

I'm concerned that snow/ice avalanches may rip off the gutters and/or hold the snow. We're in the Pittsburgh area, so we don't get a lot of snow by Buffalo standards, but we do get periods of continual 1 inch snows (that build up) and a few actual storms each year.

Redoing the work isn't an option at the moment. So, I'm wondering whether there might be other ways to mitigate the likelihood of problems. Any suggestions?

Do snow guards typically work well enough (in sufficient quantity) to avoid the avalanches?

Thanks for any insights and suggestions.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration