Vermont Gray/Black? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Vermont Gray/Black? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Joe (Joe)
Username: Joe

Post Number: 659
Posted on Monday, December 19, 2011 - 11:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The roof doesn't look out of the ordinary.

Joecalta3 (Joecalta3)
Username: Joecalta3

Post Number: 16
Posted on Thursday, December 15, 2011 - 05:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Images can be seen at:

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0Bynh3596YFydY2EyMTI4NWEtNjU1My00YWY0LWIxYjEtMDk wZmU4YWFiZjFj

Joecalta3 (Joecalta3)
Username: Joecalta3

Post Number: 15
Posted on Thursday, December 15, 2011 - 04:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

2 questions on this slate:
1. A year after installation I am seeing some brown (rust?) streaks mixed in with the natural striations in this slate, seems to be on most slates, some much more than others. I understand this slate will weather some (Approximately 4% to
6% of these slates will exhibit slight signs of
weathering after 12 to 18 months of exposure) Is this something to be concerned about? Are there some bad "deposits" in this particular batch? If this is the weathering that is referred to above it is happening on more than the 4 to 6% mentioned.
2. The slate has a very rough texture, not just on the edges, but on the flat areas. I am noticing some chips of slate in the gutters and on the lawn. Is the roof breaking down? Is this something that will stop and stabilize over time. I've seem many older roofs with much rougher textures are they seem to be fine.

The slate was from Greenstone, from the Briar Hill quarries, as per their website.

Some photos are attached.

Thanks in advance!

Joe

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration