Getting unbiased answers about slate Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Getting unbiased answers about slate « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Old_school (Old_school)
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 710
Posted on Saturday, September 24, 2011 - 11:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lv pa and Rig. Be careful about trying to trying to get too cerebral about the costs and quotes with slate. It is worth what it is worth.
A high quality S-1 slate install improperly will leak and fail just as fast as a improperly installed inferior slate roof will. Ask all the questions you want of the companies that are proposing these repairs, and also ask us what we think and give us pictures to look at. No problem here.

If the contractors do a good job with junk slate you will have problems and if they do a crumby job with good slates you will still have the problems. I don't know who you are dealing with, but there are a lot of hacks out there as well as some real mechanics. There are only 80 members of the SRCA in the country, and a lot more roofers than that do slate and slate repairs. How good they are is another question. we are trying to gather all of the good ones into the organization, but it hasn't happened just yet. Ask Questions!!!

Lv_pa (Lv_pa)
Intermediate Member
Username: Lv_pa

Post Number: 32
Posted on Thursday, September 22, 2011 - 06:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rig,

Why don't you ask the roofer where they plan to get the S-1 slate?

You do realize that you can ask the contractors follow-up questions about the quotes, and that everything's negotiable, right?

I will always try to "reverse-engineer" any quote by figuring out materials cost, setup and tear-down time, etc. I guess it's my SW background showing there. But that does take a fair amount of knowledge and probably some DIY experience. And it could be part of the reason it's taking me forever to do my own place...

PS. You can also ask about costs under the "Slate Roofing Costs" section of this message board.

Epl (Epl)
Username: Epl

Post Number: 122
Posted on Thursday, September 22, 2011 - 09:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

First and foremost, your roof is not a Vermont slate roof. It’s a Pennsylvania Black Slate roof. It appears that several of the slates are in rough shape, however there should still be a useful lifespan to the majority of the slates. Obviously those that are broken, cracked, and showing signs of obvious deterioration shouldn’t be re-used. More than likely your leaks are occurring as a result of failing flashings (chimney, waste stacks, valley’s, etc.)
Please also ensure that your roofing contractor is a qualified slate and tile roofing contractor. A “Jack of all Trades” or shingle roofer assuming they can install slate will lead to disaster!

Renaissance Tile and Slate
Roof tile and slate | Material sales and acquisition

Eric P. Loema
sales | salvage | procurement
Office: (800) 699-5695
Fax: (815) 547-1425
Cell: (815) 378-3646
Web: www.TileandSlateSales.com
Email: epl@TileandSlateSales.com
Connect: www.linkedin.com/in/eloema
Network: www.facebook.com/TileSlate

Rig (Rig)
Username: Rig

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, September 21, 2011 - 10:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the replies! My roof is leaking in many places. In fact, during hurricane Irene, I set out about 4-5 buckets and collected gallons of water. Since then, my sister and I have had about 6 different roofers come over. I have gotten repair estimates between $2000 - $3000, and new roof estimates between $11,000 to $18.5000. From my point of view, why pay all that money in repairs when I can just get a new roof?

ALSO, I have an $11,000 estimate that says they will use "grade S1 in quality natural slate", while the $18,000 estimate says they will specifically use Vermont grey/black slate. Do I need to be concerned about the difference here ?

My sister lives in an end-of-group rowhome, and I live right next to her (but I am not end-of-group. So obviously her estimates have been higher than mine. But both our houses were built in about 1950 and still have original roof.

Anyway, I have a handful of digital pics of our roofs, but the size of the files exceed the limit allowed by this board. I think you should be able to access these pics at this link. If not, let me know....

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=explorer&chrome=true&srcid=0BzhqCfDVUoQdN DZkNDVhMDUtZjg2ZS00NTkzLTk0MDMtZGFjZTI0NGI5MDQ3&hl=en

Lv_pa (Lv_pa)
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 31
Posted on Wednesday, September 21, 2011 - 08:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Not all S-1 slate is from Vermont, that's for sure. That just happens to be one of the well-known sources of good slate in this country. Other options would be Buckingham slate from Virginia, recycled Peach Bottom from PA/MD, cathedral grey from PA (Wind Gap), or silver grey from Argentina.

Obviously, you have to make sure you're dealing with reputable roofers, distributors and quarries to know that you're getting the real thing. I would ask to have specific sources listed in any quote.

I would also echo Old_school's question about why a 60 year old slate roof needs replacing. You may want to post some pictures of your roof here to get other opinions on this.

Old_school (Old_school)
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 708
Posted on Wednesday, September 21, 2011 - 06:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rig, Rock is rock, and there is good rock all over the world. (slate is rock) S-1 refers to the hardness and the water absorption of the slate. S-1` slate should last for about 100 years or longer when properly applied. You can get very good slates from Vermont, and right next to it in the quarry, there is some garbage. chances are the slate you are questioning here about was quarried in China or Brazil. They have some very good slate, and they also have a lot of garbage. How can you tell, and how do you know? What do you do when you get spomething that is supposed to be high quality S-1 slate that you have to pay for BEFORE you get it and it turns out to be garbage? If it is from over seas you are screwed.

Question, why are you replacing a 60 year old slate roof? Is it bad, or did someone tell you it was bad?

Rig (Rig)

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, September 21, 2011 - 05:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ok, so I have a 60 year old slate roof. I live in a townhouse and right next door to my sister, who also is considering getting a new roof. We have had quite a few estimates. Most roofers say they will use the Vermont slate, but one estimate says they will use "new natural slate, grade S1 in quality and secured with copper nails." Does slate have to come from Vermont in order to be grade S1? If someone uses S1 slate that is not from Vermont, is that something to be concerned about?

(SW developers unite !!! ;-)

Lv_pa (Lv_pa)

Post Number: 30
Posted on Wednesday, September 21, 2011 - 05:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sure would. I am also a SW developer and apprentice roofer -- under the direction of the masters here -- going through the slow process of re-slating and renovating my own house. Ask away!

Rig (Rig)

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, September 21, 2011 - 02:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a slate roof that most likely needs to be replaced (I am not a roofer....I write software for a living). Would this be a good place to ask questions?

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration