Alternative Slate Roof Design... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Alternative Slate Roof Design... « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Kirk
Posted on Sunday, May 01, 2005 - 12:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dear Friends,
Please advise: I'm using steel rafters, with no sheathing for my roof system, then I'm using metal hat track every 9" up the roof to allow me to screw the roof slate on with stainless steel screws. After the slating is done, I'd like to go underneath and spray the slate and hat track with 1" of adhesive spayfoam. Is there anyone out there that could tell whether this would work, or not?
Kirk...

Jim K in PA
Posted on Thursday, May 05, 2005 - 05:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Why would you want to spray foam on the underside of the slate? You will prevent air movement and trap moisture against your steel. The mounting method should be OK, but don't spray it. Insulate the deck below the roof or install sips on the steel rafters and then install your "hat track" making sure you have space for air movement below the slate.

9" purlin spacing means you will need a slate that is at least 21" long for a 3" headlap.

Jim K in PA

admin
Posted on Monday, May 09, 2005 - 10:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you screw the slates on with stainless steel screws, how will you repair it later? Or I should say how will *anyone* repair it many years later? I can't imagine removing broken slates with a ripper when attached with stainless steel screws. Sounds like a headache waiting to happen.

Joe Jenkins

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration