Recent Job Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Recent Job « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Old_school (Old_school)
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 288
Posted on Sunday, November 29, 2009 - 03:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

oooh! That is good Branden..True and good! If you are busy, raise your prices..and if you are not...raise them a bit more than that. sometimes that works best; but don't ask me why. I guarantee you that the hacks down there are charging more than you are for far lesser quality

Branden_wilson (Branden_wilson)
Advanced Member
Username: Branden_wilson

Post Number: 47
Posted on Sunday, November 29, 2009 - 12:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

good to see you here tinner, it's real slater. you're a true slater, definetly not a hack! i can't join the group either. no funds and at a slaters wage i don't think i ever will. it's almost 50k to start a roofing company where i live. i've been slatin my butt off and so far just managed to pay rent. i can't imagine ever charging others so i can build a business. i just love installing slate roofs. don't know of a place for guys like myself other than struggling in a corrupt market or building a time machine. the direction our country is headed in is based on projections rather than wisdom. kinda like how the roofing market already turned. i'm confident my son will have a much harder time than myself trying to speak truth into america's highly entertained minds but yet i can't help but teach him our beautiful trade. i read somewhere that our lives would consist of these kind of battles, i also read in that same book that in this time, people would exchange wisdom and proof for words that tickle their ears. there is a reward for people who fight this battle tinner but it is certainly not financial success here and now. our reward is well worth the fight. keep slating! the bigger they are, the harder they fall!

Old_school (Old_school)

Post Number: 284
Posted on Saturday, November 21, 2009 - 08:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hang in there. Times will get better.

Tinner666 (Tinner666)
Advanced Member
Username: Tinner666

Post Number: 44
Posted on Friday, November 20, 2009 - 10:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the compliments.

"You do have to join our organization though."
It's all about the money. Or should I say, "Lack thereof"? Just don't have it. And I'm a hack anyway! I was taold that at some point on another forum when I showed a chimeny corner with a tinner's wing.
I cut the step to set the back pan flush on it. It's perfectly even with the last 'under' slate. And it creates a little channel that water won't escape from in a driving rain.

<A HREF="http://www.albertsroofing.com" TARGET="_blank">Slate Roof Repairs, Richmond, Va.</A>

Old_school (Old_school)

Post Number: 282
Posted on Friday, November 20, 2009 - 09:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tinner, what are those "RED" marks on the roof before you installed the slate? Don't you know it is not "manly" to rely on actually measuring and striking lines?

Nice job! Glad to have you on the forum. You do have to join our organization though. I think that we all have to stick together and drag the rest of the "roofers" into the new century.

Tinner666 (Tinner666)
Advanced Member
Username: Tinner666

Post Number: 42
Posted on Thursday, November 19, 2009 - 11:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I didn't care for the pitch, but it's a historic area, and slates were there originally. 5/4 fir T&G deck. Owner applied I&W. I covered with a double layer of 30#.

8 x 16's. 4" headlap. About a 3/12
<A HREF="http://www.albertsroofing.com" TARGET="_blank">Slate Roof Repairs, Richmond, Va.</A>

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration