Slate and concrete Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Slate and concrete « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Braymer (Braymer)
Username: Braymer

Post Number: 127
Posted on Thursday, July 23, 2009 - 10:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Man-- that is just amazing -this roof looks great.., I like the way the ridges fade up into the main roof like that.. Do you by chance have any more images of this area - like closeups around this photo here around that ridge??
Thanks very much for these photos- I will be staring at them for quite a while.

John_chan (John_chan)
Username: John_chan

Post Number: 24
Posted on Thursday, July 23, 2009 - 08:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Very Nice, Liam!!

Old_school (Old_school)
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 190
Posted on Wednesday, July 22, 2009 - 07:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wow Liam, I told you at the seminar that your were an artist, and this is more proof. Nice work!

Slate_man (Slate_man)
Username: Slate_man

Post Number: 438
Posted on Wednesday, July 22, 2009 - 05:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here some more of what you ask about, I had about 4 guy on this job. We have been there since the week of March till know and will be done with the roof at end of the month. We will have to come back layer to finish the leader, to may different trades that will damage them to install know.
Conrete10

Conrete1

Conrete10

Conrete10

Conrete10

Conrete10

Conrete10

Conrete10

Conrete10

Conrete10

Braymer (Braymer)

Post Number: 126
Posted on Wednesday, July 22, 2009 - 09:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This looks great.
Could you post more photos if you get time? Especially the areaes close-up around the valleys by the dormers and that chimney that has some slates running up it. Any more pictures of this I would really like to see. Do you have a crew or anyone else with you on this one? Thanks

Slate_man (Slate_man)

Post Number: 437
Posted on Wednesday, July 22, 2009 - 05:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here are a few more picture of finished areas

Conrete6

Conrete7

Conrete8

Conrete9

Kwhord (Kwhord)
Username: Kwhord

Post Number: 225
Posted on Tuesday, May 19, 2009 - 07:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What, No tar?
:)

Old_school (Old_school)

Post Number: 146
Posted on Monday, May 18, 2009 - 09:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nice stuff!!

Slate_man (Slate_man)

Post Number: 414
Posted on Monday, May 18, 2009 - 06:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank guys. Here are a few more pictures, one is a finished valley, and the other is a valley we rip-out the other day. To tar or not to tar?

RC 9

RC 10

Old_school (Old_school)

Post Number: 138
Posted on Friday, May 08, 2009 - 07:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nice stuff Liam!

Braymer (Braymer)

Post Number: 104
Posted on Friday, May 08, 2009 - 11:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think that looks better than OK!
that valley and the thick slates look great.
If you have more photos, overall roof,etc.
Very cool.

Slate_man (Slate_man)

Post Number: 410
Posted on Thursday, May 07, 2009 - 01:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

For the most part it is experience, there is very little as far as handbooks on details like this. In this valley there is hind flashing that will do some of the water protection but most will be done by the slate.

Jonma (Jonma)
Username: Jonma

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, May 07, 2009 - 09:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Slate_Man, that valley looks gorgeous! I can see what you mean about wishing the homeowner had let you round it out more, though.

When doing corners/valleys like this, do you still have to use flashing? It looks like you don't have to, which seems like it would make for a stronger, more maintenance-free roof.

Is there some sort of formula or system to follow when cutting slate in such a precise manner? Or does it just come down to experience?

Slate_man (Slate_man)

Post Number: 409
Posted on Thursday, May 07, 2009 - 06:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We finished up a valley yesterday. It turned out OK. There is two different slope one a 16/12 and the other is a 14/12 makes it even hard to do. By running large slate and course on the 14/12 slope roof, I was able to do this. There was a end wall at the top of the valley, I desided to continue the valley frameing up farther, to round it out and blend it in to the roof more.

*Note- After doing a a few hand fulls of rounded slate details. I have found that the round framing installed is really what makes the roof that and the slate roofer.

RC 6

RC 7

RC 8

Slate_man (Slate_man)

Post Number: 404
Posted on Saturday, May 02, 2009 - 08:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes in Long Island. I will post more of the roof as we finish different areas.

Braymer (Braymer)

Post Number: 99
Posted on Friday, May 01, 2009 - 09:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wow, Nice. Any other pics of this roof would be great to see. I really like those rounded valleys, I dont see many of those. Is this the Plandome down in Long Island?

Slate_man (Slate_man)

Post Number: 403
Posted on Thursday, April 30, 2009 - 06:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Braymer, the job is in Plandone NY. I have alot of picture anything you are looking for? Here are two different valley's that are started one we may redo.

RC 4

RC 5

I tried to get the own to let me round out he valley's more, but it was to much more money. So, we had to add some 1x4 and 2x4 spacer to deal with the size of the slate and the gap created by them.

The oringal roof was round alot by the concrete that the slate was inbeded in.

Braymer (Braymer)

Post Number: 98
Posted on Thursday, April 30, 2009 - 02:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Liam, that looks sweet!
Any more photos? Especially around that valley.
What town is this one in?

Old_school (Old_school)

Post Number: 128
Posted on Tuesday, April 28, 2009 - 06:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I believe that is because rock is heavy. They look nice!

Slate_man (Slate_man)

Post Number: 401
Posted on Tuesday, April 28, 2009 - 06:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Guy. Here are a few other picture that I though people migth want to see. We are starting with 22" slate randoms 1" to 3/4" thick. Some of the mottled are 22"x16"x1", we are only able to move one to three pcs at a time.
RC 2

RC 3

Kwhord (Kwhord)

Post Number: 210
Posted on Monday, April 27, 2009 - 09:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

First-class!

Old_school (Old_school)

Post Number: 126
Posted on Monday, April 27, 2009 - 08:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I like that!

Slate_man (Slate_man)

Post Number: 400
Posted on Monday, April 27, 2009 - 06:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here's a picture of what the new roof will look like!

RC

Old_school (Old_school)

Post Number: 107
Posted on Saturday, April 04, 2009 - 10:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I wondered about that!

Slate_man (Slate_man)

Post Number: 391
Posted on Saturday, April 04, 2009 - 06:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There really isn't any reason to remove this roof, besides the fact that the new owner are almost doubleing the size of the roof and didn't want to drifferent colored roofs. Seeing that about 1/3 of the slate is in-beded in concrete, saving any of this roof is almost a waste of time. Also the roof in random, graduated with four colors there isn't many graduated roof that I run in to.

Old_school (Old_school)

Post Number: 106
Posted on Friday, April 03, 2009 - 09:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

And it lasted for 93 years!

Kwhord (Kwhord)

Post Number: 199
Posted on Friday, April 03, 2009 - 07:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That's a real shame.

Slate_man (Slate_man)

Post Number: 390
Posted on Friday, April 03, 2009 - 05:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here another picture of this mess, if you can even understand what you are looking at. You have a concrete rigde on the rigth side going in to a round valley. In the valley what you are looking at is mostly layers of concrete and felt paper. Crow bar and sleg hammer work. The 60lb or 75lb felt that was used when the roof was installed in 1916 or around there, was perfect still, they also used copper nail. But with the concrete, it destory any possiblity of a good repair.

Conrete5

Old_school (Old_school)

Post Number: 104
Posted on Thursday, April 02, 2009 - 09:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ouch!

Slate_man (Slate_man)

Post Number: 388
Posted on Thursday, April 02, 2009 - 06:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here some picture of a new job we started. I know one thing you don't use concrete in valley's, hips and ridge, like shown in the picture. It would of been a nigthmare to repair. All the valley's have a course of slate inbeded in concrete and a layer of 60lb felt. This is not what you want to do on a install, in which you want to repair it to get more out of your the slate roof. The slate on this roof is OK but because of being inbed in concrete, the repair was next to impossible to do correctly. Because most of the roof is inbeded in concrete we are have to throw most of it away.

*Note to all slate roofers slate is green material and dosn't need to go in land fills, we found a a company by this job that takes old slate roofs and crushes them to make in to road aggregates. One more reason to go with a traditional slate roof or a natural materials.
Conrete1

Conrete2

Conrete3

Conrete4

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration