Slate and flashing question Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Slate and flashing question « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Old_school (Old_school)
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 192
Posted on Sunday, July 26, 2009 - 09:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That works! Thanks for the update and the pics.

Spp (Spp)
Username: Spp

Post Number: 14
Posted on Sunday, July 26, 2009 - 03:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Almost forgot to include pics of the roof vent that we had removed from between the dormers.

with vent
without vent

(Message edited by spp on July 26, 2009)

Spp (Spp)

Post Number: 13
Posted on Saturday, July 25, 2009 - 05:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Updated pics -- the masons were here 2 weeks ago and did spot pointing all around the house as needed and they also did the remaining sections of the chimney while they were here. My roof guy, Ron, just finished up on flashing the chimney and replacing a number of broken slate as well as some that were installed when the previous flashing work was done in the 1990's that were too short for where they were..

I thought I would share the updated pics -- I've included before and after pics of each section.

Left side - before
Left side - completed
Left side rear - before
Left side rear - completed
Right side - before
Right side - completed
Right side rear - before
Right side rear - completed

(Message edited by spp on July 25, 2009)

Spp (Spp)

Post Number: 12
Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 11:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Joe.

Thanks.. I am aware of the directory.

Ron from Slateworks will be in the area for a repair job next week and said that he will stop by and take a look at my roof.

Thx again everyone..

Joe (Joe)
Username: Joe

Post Number: 378
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 09:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We have several SRCA members in the Pittsburgh area. (http://www.slateroofers.org/directory.html)

Walter_musson (Walter_musson)
Username: Walter_musson

Post Number: 133
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 06:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If the masons were working for the old owner as a condition of the sale , I can understand their reluctance to discuss more problems.
Typically their crew wouldn't flash into the roof , but would install the lead counterflashings which you are lacking.
In my area to reflash into the roof and cut reglets for new lead and install that might cost in the $1500 range.

Spp (Spp)

Post Number: 11
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 01:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The photo with the scaffolding was from 2006 when they tore the chimney down to just a tad higher than the roof line and completely rebuilt it. I know now why they didn't go down any further - they didn't want to open up the can of worms I am looking at now. Pity too, as we were going to use them to do some additional work when finances allowed but not now. I am beside myself that they didn't make me aware of the situation on the back side of the chimney..

Old_school (Old_school)

Post Number: 78
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 08:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

SPP; A couple of things; Your last picture shows the slate cracked and a piece of copper pushed beneath it. There is one large step flashing going all the way up the wall too. There should have ben at least two and probably three steps along that side of the chimney and the broken slate should be replaced. On the other side of the chimney, even though it is ugly, the way that they have it almost might work. I would check very carefully into the way that the mortar joints are pointed. I saw more holes than mortar on most of it.

On # 295 they had the scaffolding right on the chimney. Is that from 2 years ago when they re-did everything? It looks like if that was the case, they should have went farther down the chimney and fixed the bottom too. Like Walter said, the clinkers are hard to flash around, but they could have done a better job with the masonry work.

Kwhord (Kwhord)
Username: Kwhord

Post Number: 179
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 05:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That's typical of the quality of work performed by large roofing companies that do mostly shingle work. I would probably use lead counter flashing against those irregular bricks to get a good fit.

Post Number: 132
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 12:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That looks terrible.
They used caulking instead of cutting flashing into the brick joints. That chimney being built with " clinkers " makes the flashing a little more challenging , but still doable when you hire the right slater.

Spp (Spp)

Post Number: 10
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 11:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, I was able to pull the ladder out and get up closer to the back side of the chimney... does not look purdy...

Left side:

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm127/projektzwo/P3110657.jpg

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm127/projektzwo/P3110660.jpg

Right side:

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm127/projektzwo/P3110661.jpg

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm127/projektzwo/P3110662.jpg

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm127/projektzwo/P3110663.jpg

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm127/projektzwo/P3110666.jpg

The thing that absolutely kills me is that back in 2006 when we bought the house, as a condition of the house sale, the upper portion of the chimney was torn down and completely rebuilt due to large bulges in the brick facade on the front from water getting in - why on earth didn't the guys doing the work mention this to me when they were up there? I would have tried to scrape the money together to get it repaired right then and there...

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm127/projektzwo/P9060027.jpg

Post Number: 131
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 07:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Too hard to give you an accurate quote from here.
Find a reputable slater from your area and get a price from them.
Nothing takes the place of an onsite inspection to determine what repairs are truly necessary and what steps needed for the repairs - and the cost of them.

Spp (Spp)

Post Number: 9
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 01:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Old School-

I am in the Pittsburgh, PA area.

Old_school (Old_school)

Post Number: 77
Posted on Monday, March 09, 2009 - 09:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Where are you located?

Slate_man (Slate_man)
Username: Slate_man

Post Number: 374
Posted on Monday, March 09, 2009 - 05:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Most slate roofs I have seen where the stone or brick work come's rigth to the slate roof. It is filled with the same motor as the stone or brick work and the slate should over hangeing that edge some more. Chimney needs some work. You may need some pcs of slate repair where these issue are, which may be the problem.

Spp (Spp)

Post Number: 8
Posted on Monday, March 09, 2009 - 01:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the comments guys -- I don't have any pics on hand of the back side of the chimney flashing (cricket?) but will try and get some posted in the next few days...

As it sits now, any idea what it would run to correct this?

Kwhord (Kwhord)
Username: Kwhord

Post Number: 178
Posted on Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 05:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A third vote for the valley being the problem, especially at the bottom where the roof sweeps out.

The chimney should have a saddle behind it probably, and the flashing should be stepped and tucked into the mortar joints.

Old_school (Old_school)

Post Number: 75
Posted on Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 02:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yuck! What walter said about the chimney flashing; or lack of it.

It would be nice to have the slates extend over the edge of the brick on the top photos. It looks like the water is washing bach beneath the slates and getting the brick all wet. Someone did a crumby job of pointing the brinck on the chimney too!

Spp (Spp)

Post Number: 7
Posted on Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 02:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The house was built in 1936. New copper gutters, downspouts and flashing were done sometime in the 90's from what I understand.

Post Number: 130
Posted on Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 02:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'd be more suspect of the closed valley letting water into the house.
The chimney should be totally reflashed by someone who has the proper skills.
How old is the house ?

Spp (Spp)

Post Number: 6
Posted on Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 02:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Two part question with photos:

First question: Do I have an issue with the way that the slate meets the house on this curved end section of my front roof? The closet on the other side of the wall shows signs of water damage but I am unsure if it is old damage or ongoing. (I have not noticed any wet walls or anything like that.. but the plaster and baseboard clearly have had past water issues) There is also a small utility closet in the basement directly under the 1st floor closet in question and that closet is always damp and the walls and the steel I-Beam show signs of water - especially the I-beam where it meets the wall as it is rusting out. I am wondering if water is getting in here and working its way down inside the house...??

photo one:

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm127/projektzwo/P3080621.jpg

Photo two:

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm127/projektzwo/P3080622.jpg

photo three:

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm127/projektzwo/P3080622.jpg

My next question is about the flashing in the sides of my chimney... both sides of the chimney show signs of water eroding the mortar. Water is making it past the gutter and onto the sides of the chimney. The flashing looks like crap on both sides - someone reflashed them at some point but shouldn't there be step flashing here?

left side:

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm127/projektzwo/P3080624.jpg

right side:

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm127/projektzwo/P3080625.jpg

Also, on the right side of the chimney, it looks like I have a cracked slate and perhaps some other slate issues..

right side slate:

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm127/projektzwo/P3080626-1.jpg

Thanks in advance for any input.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration