New gray slate roof Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » New gray slate roof « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Old_school (Old_school)
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 153
Posted on Friday, June 12, 2009 - 07:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Westone; No disrespect taken and none intended from me either. I wish we could all just get along and treat each other with respect. Here we call it the "Golden Rule", that is treat others the same way you would want to be treated. I try and run my business and all my dealing with customers the same way. I just want top quality products when I buy, and I am willing to pay the extra money to get it. I prefer to buy my slate from an American or Canadian producer because they also support me here in the States. If the slate produced in China or Wales or Brazil or wherever is better and costs about the same, I would be willing to look at it and buy it too. If all things are equal however, I will continue to support my North American brothers.

Westone (Westone)
Username: Westone

Post Number: 21
Posted on Thursday, June 11, 2009 - 11:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dear John R. Crookston "Old School",
I also think many Chinese speculators are damageing reputation of Chinese roofing slate because they have never understood roofing slate industry. They are only granite small Trader.
I also think roofing slate is most dangerous variety of slate industry. In China, only have 2-3 companies professionally specilize in dark color roofing slates for many years.
Please you kindly select good and big supplier if you intend to buy from China.

(Message edited by westone on June 11, 2009)

(Message edited by westone on June 11, 2009)
Biggest manufacturer and supplier of Chinese roofing slate with controlling 1/4 resource of dark color

Westone (Westone)

Post Number: 20
Posted on Thursday, June 11, 2009 - 11:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dear All,
I apologize for my words if I was disrespect.
I would like to say, many American roofing slate companies are buying our slate in great quantities, but they sell our slate without any label origin, maybe many of contractors have even bought our slate from famous companies.
Biggest manufacturer and supplier of Chinese roofing slate with controlling 1/4 resource of dark color

Old_school (Old_school)

Post Number: 139
Posted on Tuesday, May 12, 2009 - 10:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Real Slater, No argument with you there, but what recourse do you have if you buy slate from China or anywhere over seas for that matter and it ends up being garbage? If I was them, I wouldn't ship it intil it was paid for, and once you pay for it, they can ship you anything knowing that you can't come over and get your money back. It is a real catch 22 for both sides.

I am still curious why there isn't thousands of slate roofs in china that have been on for hundreds of years that we can see and reference. Their culture is many times as old as ours and water flows downhill all over the world. They should have a lot of experience with slate roofing. In my opinion anyway.

All of the defective products showing up in the US from China doesn't leave me feeling too confident either. Like I said, it is a real catch 22 for the honest people on both sides of the pond.

Branden_wilson (Branden_wilson)
Username: Branden_wilson

Post Number: 26
Posted on Sunday, May 10, 2009 - 09:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i'll take chinese slate over the stuff that most of you use when you're not slating anyday. most of you guys do more asphalt, plastic and "metal" than you do slate. do you scrutinize those products the same way? have you looked at your product brochures and seen the questionable work? did you bash it and use something else?

i stick with slate cause i won't sell products that lie and harm our environment. man doesn't make stone. they can't hide the imperfections. if it's bad slate, you should realize it before you put on your customers home.

i looked at a job friday, 70 squares of vermont green will be here monday. the builder even went up and toured the quarry. but his home he's building is a disaster. typicall home depot so called "high end" home. the roof has poor carpentry covered up by 30# then peel and stick. everything is extremely sloppy, galvanized wall flashings with tar all over em, weaved membrane that's built up at the hips, ridges and valleys, etc.etc..my point.....

i can show up at an untouched roof and install a perfect roof with chinese or domestic slate if i'm given the right components and the right pallet. this guy bought perfect slate but there's nothing i can do for him. he won't even consider paying me to make it all right. his will be another nightmare. all because he thinks buying good slate is all he has to do.

i don't think the foreign slates and their salesman are the enemy. all of my enemies are domestic. ROOFING CONTRACTORS have hurt the slating industry overall more than anything else.

reserve your frustration for roofers who play both sides of the fence, plastic slates that bash stone in their mass marketing, this little picture mentality that's making it almost impossible to explain life cycle costing, the green bandwagon which is now even promoted by celebrities which pushes products like tpo, plastic slate, galvilume, etc...

there are so many things making it harder to promote truth in a world of lies. i've got too much experience to worry about being sold bad slate.

Radford (Radford)
Username: Radford

Post Number: 8
Posted on Thursday, May 07, 2009 - 05:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

old school.what kind of slating is on the photo.l have to have all tails over here level regardless of slate.l can get a good roof out of chinese slate. but all the basics seem not to apply.but if these slate have to be used the code of practice will always keep us from trouble.quality of a slate.and quality of slate are two worlds apart.my top end is welsh.but this is l think is quarried out.tony

Old_school (Old_school)

Post Number: 117
Posted on Saturday, April 11, 2009 - 11:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Westone. I am not saying it is Garbage. I have never used it and I don't know. I have used some "garbage" American slate before and I don't like it. I don't like the way the slate was installed. It doesn't matter who installed it; Canadien roofers, Chinese roofers or American roofers. Who ever installed it didn't do a very good job in my opinion. If they didn't know what they were doing when they installed it, how would they know if the slate ws any good? They don't know what they don't know.

I get lots of Emails from China asking me to buy their tile and slate. I am trying to tell you what I am looking for, and why. Low prices DON'T impress me; quality does. How am I to know? John R. Crookston "Old School"

Westone (Westone)

Post Number: 19
Posted on Saturday, April 11, 2009 - 10:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If there are incorrect installation on the roof, it is thing of Canadian contractor.
If somebody want to say "it is garbage", I want to say I have been exporting GARBAGE, Westone Slate to America over 25 years, Many Canadian and American slate distributors and contractors are buying GARBAGE, Westone Slate regularly.
The member of SRCA since 2006

Tinner666 (Tinner666)
Username: Tinner666

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2009 - 06:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

They are jammed together, aren't they? Some shingler install them?
[url=http://www.albertsroofing.com]SLate Repairs, Richmond, Va.[/url]

Old_school (Old_school)
Advanced Member

Post Number: 47
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 08:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Westone,

How long has some of this slate been on the roofs of China? How much is shipped to the U.S. and Canada is irelavant unless the slate is top quality. If the quality is the same, I would prefer to use slate quarried in the U.S. If the quality of the chinese slate is superior, I would have no problem using it; even it if cost more per quare.

The problem I see you having is that I work on slate roofs installed in Michigan that are over 100 years old and still going strong. That slate came mostly from Vermont and New York around here. What assurances would we have that the chinese slate is as good? If we do use it and it turns out poorly, what are our options?

There is a lot of garbage produced in the U.S. too, don't get me wrong, but at least I can talk directly to the quarry owners, and in a lot of instaces I have been for over 30 years.

The pictures of the Gray Slate you show at the start of this thread look very substandard to me. I am speaking of the installation now and not the slate as I can't feel it or check on its hardness. If I was going to advertise slate, I would show the best application picture I had. If this is "IT" for you, then you are going to have a hard time selling me.

I rely on Quality, Quality and Quality; but not necessarily in that order! That is just me!

Kwhord (Kwhord)
Username: Kwhord

Post Number: 154
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 07:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'll start using it after it's on a roof for 150 years.

Westone (Westone)

Post Number: 15
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 09:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In fact, this gray slates have been exporting to American and Canada market over 20 years.

I am sorry I couldn't explain some question what you ask, but I know American market accept this slate well.

We are exporting 10 containers each month, the dimension as below:
500x300x6-8 or 7-9mm
500x250x6-8 or 7-9mm
500x225x6-8 or 7-9mm
-----------------------
450x300x6-8 or 7-9mm
450x250x6-8 or 7-9mm
450x225x6-8 or 7-9mm
-----------------------
400x300x5-7 or 7-9mm
400x250x5-7 or 7-9mm
400x225x5-7 or 7-9mm
-----------------------
WESTONE is most famous manufacturer and supplier of Chinese dark color roofing slate.

Slate_man (Slate_man)
Username: Slate_man

Post Number: 345
Posted on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 06:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Old School is rigth, I saw it before to. This gray roof seem, real ruff, maybe a lot of warped pcs, is it a stager butt? They also left alot of broken corners, that are way to big. Seem like with all the uneven slates that could become a problem.

Old_school (Old_school)

Post Number: 26
Posted on Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 10:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

is it my imagination, or is that gray slate butted tightly together? Some of them are overlapped too. Maybe a "bit rough" on the details.

I think if I was going to lay them random exposure I would vary it a bit more. It looks like they couldn't keep it on the lines. Tell me I am wrong!

Kwhord (Kwhord)
Username: Kwhord

Post Number: 139
Posted on Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 08:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That looks terrible, sorry.

Westone (Westone)

Post Number: 13
Posted on Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 04:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here is California Gold slate, which come from our Shaanxi province.

Wang Cheng

Post Number: 10
Posted on Sunday, December 28, 2008 - 09:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

These slate are 400 x random x 6-8mm

Wang Cheng

Post Number: 9
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2008 - 08:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello, Eric,
Thanks for your inquiry.
This roof shows roof in Canada, if you would like more information, you can view our website http://www.westones.com, or send email to me info@westones.com, I will let you know further.

Kindest regards,
Wang Cheng

Eric Braymer
Advanced Member
Username: Braymer

Post Number: 42
Posted on Thursday, December 18, 2008 - 04:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello,
How much does this slate cost per square? And shipping to New York City.
Is there any contact info for Mr Jon Kitts?
The only listing I can find online is for this guy, a C.O.O. of a freight handling company...

Jon Kitts
Chief Operating Officer
Freight Handlers Inc
310 North Judd Parkway Ne
Fuquay Varina, NC 27526-2369

Wang Cheng

Post Number: 7
Posted on Thursday, December 18, 2008 - 03:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here is his comment:

Dear Wang Cheng

Thank you for enquiring about the slate installation we carried out in Windsor Ontario. We very much liked the slate you supplied. It was very good to work with and had a very good appearance which our customers where very happy with.

We look forward to purchasing more slate in the future. Would it be possable to get some samples of the other colour slates?

Regards Jon Kitts
XXXXXXXX Roofing Contractor

Wang Cheng

Post Number: 6
Posted on Thursday, December 18, 2008 - 03:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The pictures show the home roof of an Canadian customer use our new gray slate (WEI-807 Gray)

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration