No/inadequate nail head countersinking Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » No/inadequate nail head countersinking « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ward Hamilton
Advanced Member
Username: Olde_mohawk_masonry__historic_restoration

Post Number: 48
Posted on Sunday, September 14, 2008 - 11:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I would re-punch, just my 2 cents... Use the point on the back of a slaters hammer and I think you'd surprised to find its not that big of a deal. The potential for damage caused by the heads too high is - in my opinion - an unacceptable risk.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

David Zimmerli
Username: Lv_pa

Post Number: 4
Posted on Sunday, September 14, 2008 - 10:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello,

I am re-roofing with recycled Peach Bottom slates. The nail holes are counter-sunk, but not widely enough to accommodate the heads of the nails I'm using (the standard copper nails from the online store). Basically the nail head is just sitting on top of the slate as if there were no counter-sinking. However, the undersides of the slates don't seem to show any wear from the previous installation.

Also, I'm mixing in some new slates that were drilled without any counter-sinking.

How big of a problem is this? Do I have to re-punch every single hole to get the counter sinking? Or ream out the counter-sunk area with some sort of masonry bit? If it's something that won't be a problem for 30-40 years I might just not worry about it.

Thanks,
David

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration