Squirrels Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Squirrels « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Slate Affair Inc.
Username: Slate_man

Post Number: 248
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 05:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Michael , Joe and I are the same path the introducing of a pet-dander is the way to go. If you don't want to get a cat they the pouches may be the way to go. I also have a cat I will pay you to take.

Joe Jenkins
Username: Joe

Post Number: 294
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 09:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Michael - We used to be thick with squirrels, but once we got a cat, they disappeared - so did the chipmunks. Now we have several cats - too many. I'd gladly ship you a couple, but my wife and daughter are "cat fanatics."

Slate Affair Inc.

Post Number: 247
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 05:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You can buy this some where or make it your self, get a small bag/pouch made from cloth, put some mothballs and animal/pet dander. This will deter the pest install them in a few places.

Ward Hamilton
Username: Olde_mohawk_masonry__historic_restoration

Post Number: 29
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 11:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Put a Have-a-Heart trap in the attic with an Oreo in it. Squirrels especially like the Halloween, orange cream ones. Fill a trash barrel out behind the shed with water and send 'em for a swim.

Repeat.

Eventually you'll decimate the squirrel population in the neighborhood, and they won't be back for quite some time.

OK, gut check. Before you say "I can't do that" for any reason, consider this: You're actually contemplating an EXPENSIVE alteration to your home (built-in gutters, copper mouldings, etc) to keep rodents out.

That's nuts! (No pun intended)

If you had a stone foundation and mice kept getting into your house through the gaps between the stones and the sill plate, would you drape a copper apron around the perimeter of the house? No, you'd set evil little traps with tasty treats to maim and maul the rodents! MUCH crueler than my suggested solution.

Or, if you just want to SCARE the little buggers, TRICK them into thinking they're being drowned and keep'em indefinitely caged up. The Attorney General has not said, for certain, whether or not water boarding is 'torture,' but some prominent Senators say it isn't!

[... ok ... maybe I'm tired and need to go to sleep...]

timothy hugh dittmar
Username: Tim_dittmar

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 10:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

it's possible to patch or armor crown moulding with a piece or section of ogee-style gutter front profile without unduly altering the appearance of a building

Joe Jenkins
Username: Joe

Post Number: 280
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 11:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Get a cat or two.

Slate Affair Inc.

Post Number: 240
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 04:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Replace the crown with a copper cornice detail that they can't chew through. There's the hole at the bottem or top of the roof.

Michael Joseph Bazikos
Username: Mbazikos

Post Number: 13
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 11:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm afraid that won't help. There is a fence belonging to my neighbor that they jump from, onto my house. Anyone else have any clients whose squirrel problem was solved- by a detail of their slate roof installation? Any ideas, Joe?

wim b
Username: Belgiumslate

Post Number: 9
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 03:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

is there a tree next to your roof?
maybe they jump from a tree on to your roof
ifso remove the tree

Michael Joseph Bazikos
Username: Mbazikos

Post Number: 12
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 12:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is there anyway to design a slate roof to discourage squirrels from setting up residence in my attic? I already have the critters- they've chewed a hole through the crown moulding on the cornice and all their friends seem to know about the free hotel my house has become. Will a built-in gutter along the edge of the roof, a snow slide, or drip moulding discourage those very tenacious creatures? There is an aluminum gutter there now and it is used as a highway by them and a convienient perch to perform their havoc. The bottom line is- I plan to have the present shingle roof on my house removed and replace it with either new Vermont slate or Salvaged Peach Bottom Black (slate was the origional roofing material) and I hope someone out there will have some experience with this problem. Help!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration