Slate roof sheathing Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Slate roof sheathing « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mark Woodhouse
Username: Mrwoodhouse

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, April 14, 2008 - 11:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for your advice. I checked with my source for the lumber and they said boards wider than 6 inches wastes a lot of lumber so they don't do it, so I'll go with the 1X6. Any opinion on removing or leaving the 1/2inch plywood?
Thanks.

Joe Jenkins
Username: Joe

Post Number: 263
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 08:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have used 1X6 on 24" centers with good results. I prefer wider boards and typically use 1X12 (it goes up faster, for one thing), but 1X6 will work.

Walter Musson
Username: Walter_musson

Post Number: 82
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 05:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The center of those boards will be springy using 6" boards. 10" would improve that quite a bit

Mark Woodhouse
Username: Mrwoodhouse

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 01:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I had planned to put tin on my garage and have sheathed it with 1/2 inch plywood. After getting a very high quote for the tin that was designed to "look like slate", I thought, man I bet you could buy the real stuff for that. Kudos to all you guys keeping the craft alive. Here's my question. I am now going with a slate roof and have sourced 1X6 green unplanned lumber. I am leaning toward ripping off the 1/2 inch plywood as it would seem to serve no purpose under the 1X6 and may in fact be a detriment. I am also putting the 1X6 on 14 inch I-joists 24 inches apart. Any thoughts? Thanks for your help.
Mark

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration