HELP! Need pix and/or schematic of Ya... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » HELP! Need pix and/or schematic of Yankee gutter... « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ward Hamilton
Username: Olde_mohawk_masonry__historic_restoration

Post Number: 27
Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2008 - 09:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you for everyone's help and insight. Truthfully, what I'm trying to do is show the potential customer that a Yankee gutter CAN have a slip tube/downspouts (structural) and it will also look good (aesthetically pleasing.) We have done built-ins on numerous jobs, just never a 'true' Yankee gutter system.

The drawing really isn't to spec or scale, just something I "ripped off" from Joe, printed, drew on, and scanned in. Yes, I agree to bigger slips/leaders. We've never done less than 4" on any (most of our customers aren't real good about getting up and clearing out obstructions.)

Kurtis Hord
Advanced Member
Username: Kwhord

Post Number: 45
Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2008 - 02:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ward, I see another potential problem with the spec. you posted.
The copper should probably extend a little bit further under the slate. Maybe I just cant see it very well, but I'd take it up to just below the nails of the starter course.

Joe Jenkins
Username: Joe

Post Number: 259
Posted on Saturday, April 05, 2008 - 06:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We also prefer a vertical drop tube. We fabricate a drop tube that protrudes down through the soffit, then solder it in place inside the gutter. The bottom of the drop is then sticking out underneath the soffit and we rivet our spouting onto it. The last one we did we used 5" round copper downspouts, which are big for a residence, but when you have built-in gutters, you run the risk of collecting debris in the gutter and clogging the drop outlet. So a bigger outlet may be beneficial in some cases.

Walter Musson
Username: Walter_musson

Post Number: 77
Posted on Saturday, April 05, 2008 - 03:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ward, Lousy day for picture taking today, but heres one of the spouting coming thru the soffits.

Walter Musson

Post Number: 76
Posted on Saturday, April 05, 2008 - 04:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ward,
Also thinking the drop tubes in the soffit should be straight not bent like shown. Less chance of blockage and bursting from debris and ice blockage.

Walter Musson

Post Number: 75
Posted on Saturday, April 05, 2008 - 04:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ward,
I'm looking at a home today with downspout tubes that come thru the soffit.
I'll take a couple pictures of them.
Here we have external wooden gutters instead of your Yankee gutters, but the drops would be similar.
How much roof is being drained by each spout/ It shows 4" copper as downspouts there.

Ward Hamilton

Post Number: 25
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 09:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

thanks... do you have any pix that 'show' the downspouts coming out the bottom of the soffit, etc. the customer is also (and more so) curious as to how it looks, and i don't have any good pix.

Joe Jenkins
Username: Joe

Post Number: 256
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 07:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There is a mistake in that pdf drawing - it's not showing the starter slate. Also, the main piece of copper that goes up under the slate should have a cant bent into it.

Ward Hamilton

Post Number: 24
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 09:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is what I am talking about:

application/pdf
olde yankee cut away.pdf (99.3 k)

Ward Hamilton

Post Number: 23
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 11:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am working with a customer to install true Yankee gutters on a 12/12 Vermont 'Sea Green' roof. I have shown him pix of the gutters, and a schematic Joe had on here of how the gutters are done. But I need pix and/or schematic that shows the ends, closed, with slip tube down through the soffitt to downspouts. Any help from you guys is greatly appreciated.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration