Lightning rods - do they work? or sn... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Lightning rods - do they work? or snake oil? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Slate Affair Inc.
Username: Slate_man

Post Number: 73
Posted on Saturday, April 28, 2007 - 06:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

On high end house there installed. Its one more thing for people to pay for. Most people don't because it cost money. You are in the plain rigth so you must have alot T- storms.

Thomas Massie
Username: Thomas

Post Number: 21
Posted on Friday, April 27, 2007 - 07:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The top of tower is 37 feet from grade in the back yard, 46 feet from grade in the front yard. (w/o finial, which could add another 3 to 6 feet?) House is on a knoll, with the nearest tree on that knoll being about 100 yards away but over 100 feet tall. My bro-in-law who works on commercial construction says that just about every tall building he has worked on has short copper lightning rods on the roof (usually the top of the elevator shaft), connected in series, and running to earth ground (rebar in foundation) via a 5/8 to 3/4" copper cable. I wonder why they fell out of favor with residential construction?

Slate Affair Inc.
Username: Slate_man

Post Number: 68
Posted on Friday, April 27, 2007 - 07:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thomas,
I have done a little lighting protection work in Mass. I was working for a company call Yankee Steeple Jacks (18005432940 they could help you the best.). They install protection on most of the building they work on in the boston area. So, it must be good for something. I would suggest a copper protection system. If you are doing the slate, doing the ligthing system is a pc of cake. Yes, you can put the system mostly in side. But you then need to ground all steel objects inside to the ligthing system, more work. I installed one in Peacedale RI on a steeple last year. It was 90 feet tall is your house? Is your house taller they any other object.

Joe Jenkins
Username: Joe

Post Number: 102
Posted on Thursday, April 26, 2007 - 05:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Good questions. Most of the old lightning rods we run into on old houses are not connected anymore and many of them we remove, cable and all. Whether they work or not I do not know. I believe the wire does carry the current (if they work), but I wouldn't put one inside if they do.

Thomas Massie
Username: Thomas

Post Number: 19
Posted on Thursday, April 26, 2007 - 04:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lots of lightning rod questions here! Please take a stab at one or two. :)

Should I install lightning rods?
Do they work?
If they do work, why doesn't every home owners insurance policy require them?
If they didn't work, why do commercial buildings install them?
Does the wire going to ground actually carry the current of the lightning strike, or is it there to generate a repulsive electric field?
Does the wire have to be entirely outside of the structure or can it run internal to the house?

Thanks in advance for any advice or thoughts?!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration