WHAT DO YOU SEE IN THIS PICTURE? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » WHAT DO YOU SEE IN THIS PICTURE? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Thomas Massie
Username: Thomas

Post Number: 28
Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2007 - 07:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Pics from today. First pic is this morning, (started slating the main roof behind the tower, where I could stand on the cricket). Second pic is about lunch time (reached the valley to the left of the tower) and third one is at beer-thirty (just a few more slates and ridge caps to go!). Most of the valley slates have 3 to 4" of butt on them instead of coming to a point. But in the second picture, we were near the top of the valley and I used some cutoffs from the hips that were laying in my scrap pile - they had exactly the proper angles, even if they did come to a sharp point. Two guys nailing and two guys handing us slate and H20. I think we put on 2 or 3 square today. There was a little bit of down time for ripping out one board I didn't like, adding a missing board near the ridge, and ripping off button cap nails.

Thomas Massie

Post Number: 27
Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2007 - 01:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Joe, please let us know what you think of the Heyco metal when you get it. Sounds like the best of both worlds. Another product to carry on your web site? :)

for the eyebrow, try this thread slateman...
http://jenkinsslate.com/messages/messages/3/963.html?1161111868

going back up to work on the roof after lunch. I will take somepics of our progress this week and what the cricket looks like with slate around it now.

Slate Affair Inc.
Username: Slate_man

Post Number: 88
Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2007 - 05:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were is the eyebrow, did I miss that?

Thomas Massie

Post Number: 26
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 11:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ooops. Forgot to answer your other question slate_man - slate is from Camara Slate. I have no real basis for comparison, but so far I'm really happy with their product. I have culled a few slates due to pyrite, or thick scabs that I can't flake off, or too much brown color, or whatever, but I chalk that up to the fact that it is a natural product and some of that is to be expected. There was virtually zero breakage in shipping. (Less than one half of one percent.) For the most part, it seems like really awesome slate. I'd go straight back to them if I needed to buy more slate.

Thomas Massie

Post Number: 25
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 11:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

flashing! ha! the bane of my existence.

here are 3 pictures of what I did behind the tower...

this is 18 gauge stainless steel. 304 I think. I welded it with 308L mig wire. Not terne coated or anything like that.

flashing for my house, for the most part has been:
*copper aywhere it is going to show and is easily replaced 50 or 100 years down the road - i.e. ridge cap

*stainless step flashing in the valleys - 18 to 24 gauge. whatever I can get. some I bought at the scrap yard for a good price. When I come home with two different gauges, I put the heavier gauges at the lower portions of the valleys.

*terne coated stainless (fairly thin... 28 gauge? but feels a lot more substantial than 16 oz copper. Much harder to nail!) under the hips and eyebrow where getting things to lay flat was the goal and not a lot of water will flow. Also, in these areas, possibly flashing could peek between the cracks of the slates, and the dullness of the terne coating would be beneficial.

*18 gauge stainless open valley/cricket where the tower meets the main roof. Open valley just to simplify things and to give us a place to stand/maneuver. 18 ga. because I'm not good enough to solder, and I can't weld anything thinner (I can barely weld this stuff). It seems to me that 22 or 24 gauge stainless would last as long as the slate roof.

btw, we are slating the felt paper area right now. yanking off the tar paper and button caps before we lay the slates.

Slateman, fields are in the "bottoms" below the house. Most of our farm is hillside, so I built our house on the hill and reserved the fields for farming. In Taiwan, they bury their deceased in the sides of steep hills... why can't we be that smart? :)

Joe, I took your advice from an earlier post a few months ago. I was bending my flashing down the center. This week, we are slating the last part of the main roof and have one 24' valley to slate. I bent the flashing point-to-point like you said (16"x16") and everything just works out so much better. Have laid about 18 courses this way so far.

Joe Jenkins
Username: Joe

Post Number: 117
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 06:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Should be a fun job flashing behind that tower, Thomas.

Joe Jenkins

Post Number: 116
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 06:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anybody seen or used the copper coated stainless steel flashing from Heyco Metals? I'm going to try some out and see what it's like. Haven't seen it yet.

Slate Affair Inc.

Post Number: 82
Posted on Saturday, May 05, 2007 - 07:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Looks good. Know you can land a jet on your house. Is it Lead coated copper or freedom gray? It looks like a nice property, were are your fields. What company sold you the slate?

Thomas Massie

Post Number: 24
Posted on Friday, May 04, 2007 - 10:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tower is done. The DOT approved finial is temporary. :)

Slate Affair Inc.

Post Number: 74
Posted on Saturday, April 28, 2007 - 07:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You guy are doing a great job. I see know why you are not useing bracket with all the roof strapped, and I think you are making us all jealous with your crane. I didn't see that in the first picture. Did you do the post and beam too? Are there foam panels under the roof or are you doing something else? The details on the fourty- fives and key pcs at all the rigdes!! The finial on the steeple I posted was all wood now copper and gold leaf (similar to your key pcs the finial on the church was and still is the key). Similar to you key pcs hanging down of the rigdes.

Thomas Massie

Post Number: 20
Posted on Friday, April 27, 2007 - 06:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Joe, Ron, and Slate_man. My two brother in laws who are helping me with the roof got a real boost to hear that the author of _the_ slate book and two professional roofers liked our work. (so did I). Thanks for providing this web site and forum Joe.

Yes, that is interlocking ridge cap. No exposed nail heads. It's meant for copper roofs, but it works good for slate, as far as I can tell. Distr. by paradigm shingles, sister company of the finial company that was mentioned. http://www.paradigmshingles.com/about.html
here's a better picture of the ridge stuff:

We haven't used roof jacks yet because it always seems easier just to fly there on the end of a crane (or hang on to the skip-sheeting). We have a 4x8 concrete form that we can put lots of slate on and fly anywhere we want to. Two of us can sit on the "big swing set" and work beside each other. Kind of like "repositionable scaffolding that lifts its own slate." I bought the crane from a hydraulics repair shop. The crane had been abandoned there in exchange for the repair bill. I paid only the repair bill ($7,000) and ended up with a crane that I would otherwise have paid more to rent in the process of building my house frame. Some day I will learn to use roof jacks.

That steeple picture you posted is amazing. The scaffolding is even more amazing!

Slate Affair Inc.

Post Number: 72
Posted on Friday, April 27, 2007 - 02:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here's a better one of it done. There was 3 guys for 45hrs per 5 days for 4 weeks one day.

Slate Affair Inc.

Post Number: 71
Posted on Friday, April 27, 2007 - 01:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here is some engineering for you Thomas, from that steeple last summer!!!

Steeple2

Slate Affair Inc.

Post Number: 69
Posted on Friday, April 27, 2007 - 07:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thomas,
What is that you have going on the rigde? Is it interlock cap? Why are not useing roof brackets?

You should stick a 15 foot weather vane on your tower!!!

Very nice work. I hope the farmer makes it to the SRCA Conference in June.

ron kugel
Username: Slateworks

Post Number: 23
Posted on Friday, April 27, 2007 - 06:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Excellent AAA+..very nice pattern & excellent workmanship cutting in the hips.

Joe Jenkins

Post Number: 103
Posted on Thursday, April 26, 2007 - 05:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Beautiful work.

Thomas Massie

Post Number: 18
Posted on Thursday, April 26, 2007 - 04:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is what I have finished so far. There were three of us working for 5 days... Two of us on the roof (or on the end of the crane) and one cutting slate/breaking flashing/moving the crane (the third man was stretched thin, so we cut a lot of slate on the roof with the hammer and stake). The first picture makes it look like we have done more than we really have. The back-facing facets of the tower roof are not nearly as complete. I'd say we're about 60% done.

tower

tower 2

Thomas Massie

Post Number: 16
Posted on Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 08:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Keen observations slate_man. I don' have time to do this - that's why its been 9 months since I started the roof! :)

Because the roof slope transitions, I have been shortening the slates from their original 18" and 20" down to 16". We started by trimming down the tops and btms of the slates, but I am finding it easier to leave the nail holes higher on the slate by taking the extra 2" to 4" off of just the btm. (for better or worse!) The shorter slates and smaller exposure are to keep the slates laying flat during the pitch transition. Having the nail holes a little higher on the slate than normal also helps with the problem that my nails are too short during the pitch transition. (I hadn't anticipated that!)

I thought staggered butts might complicate things at the pitch transition. Plus when I get past the pitch transition, I plan to use fish scale shaped slates, which I don't want to stagger. Oh, I have a reason for everything - it's just not always a good reason. :)

Punching the hip slates, except when they are small and prone to breaking - then I drill them - using a 60 penny barn nail chucked in the drill!

Going up on the roof now. I will take more pictures at the end of today.

Slate Affair Inc.

Post Number: 57
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 07:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Most of the farmers I know don't have the time to install slate roofs on the side, Thomas.? Looks good. Be nice to see the rest after you are done. Why are you keeping the tower even? Are you punching all the slate?

I buy most of my copper finials from www.vulcansupply.com in Vermont

Thomas Massie

Post Number: 15
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 06:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK slate_man - you have kept all of us waiting for another picture(at least I look forward to them). I guess it's my turn. This is what my bro-in-law and I did Monday. Slow getting started in the morning, but after lunch we picked up steam. The tower top is likely to take us another week or so to finish.

I still don't have a finial picked out - anyone know where a reasonably priced finial can be found?

a slow day's work for two of us

flashing

Slate Affair Inc.
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 39
Posted on Saturday, April 07, 2007 - 07:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well it been a week or so. This here what should be there for a pcs of slate.

WDYSITP3

Slate Affair Inc.
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 33
Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 08:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here a new one, but how else has pictures. This one is hot of the presses. 3/30/07
What was done wrong a 100 year ago this year.
(I posted the last one because of the straps that are rusting. As far as the chage in pitch flashing would make for a better roof but this barn never had it! I have done no work on this barn so far, only a consultation.)

WDYSITP2

Thomas Massie

Post Number: 12
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 07:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hmmm. Interesting theory on the rusting - I'd say you all are right. The slates at the pitch break are also a slightly different color - wonder if this area has been reworked? (to cover the flashing?) Thanks slate_man - got any more pics?

jason winfrey
Username: 1roofpro

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 09:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

looks like the galvanized they used for the toe boards wasnt put right above a water row and is streaking rust cause its getting wet

Peter Laughlin
Username: Plaughlin1

Post Number: 7
Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 05:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hmm, Well a couple of things,
#1 At the pitch change i usually would install a copper pitch change flashing over the face of the slates below the pitch break.
#2 I would usually install the gutter up a little closer to the eave slates.
#2 There is 3 vertical lines of rust streaking, i am guessing that they used 16d framing nails(not hdg or stainless) to install the slate jacks, and after years of exposure the nails are rusting out and causing streaking,
Thats bout it,
Peter

Slate Affair Inc.

Post Number: 30
Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 06:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

slate sample 2

Slate Affair Inc.

Post Number: 29
Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 06:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Post picture to see what we all see!\popjpeg

{1291,slate sample 2}

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration