100 year old metal roof and box gutter Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Traditional Roofing Magazine » 100 year old metal roof and box gutter « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Old_school (Old_school)
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 899
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2012 - 09:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You are the "doctor"

Drsmith33 (Drsmith33)
Username: Drsmith33

Post Number: 9
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2012 - 05:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the replies. I will probably do a complete roof. I do not like to do things the wrong way. I take too much pride in my work.

Old_school (Old_school)

Post Number: 897
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2012 - 01:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A lot depends on how steep the roof is. the steeper the better for your purposes. It is done all the time, just know that it is a "temporary" fix. Use a type of Urethane caulk as that sticks very well to the metal. Hopefully the bottom side of the metal roof is not all rusted. that would be better.

Drsmith33 (Drsmith33)

Post Number: 8
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2012 - 10:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That was what I was hoping on doing. Have you ever heard of someone doing this? I am just afraid that this will lead from problematic gutter leaks to water problems in the living spaces. Not sure what the chances are of water going uphill too far under the roof metal. I just REALLY am trying to avoid doing a whole roof! I do not have the time with the other projects I have going on.

Old_school (Old_school)

Post Number: 894
Posted on Sunday, September 30, 2012 - 09:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The old metal will be rusted and very thin so it would be hard to get it to solder anyway. Can you tuck it farther beneath and then seal it with a good grade of caulk? Outside of tearing it all off this is about your best bet. sorry about that.

Drsmith33 (Drsmith33)

Post Number: 7
Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2012 - 09:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Long time since I have been on here. Last project went well. I appreciate the help.

Now, I have 100 year old tin porch roofs with box gutters. The roofs are in great shape. The box gutters are totally rotted in spots. I want to try to just replace the gutter, not the roof. Can I cut along the roof/gutter line and form new gutters and tuck them up under the roof about 2 inches? I know I would not be able to get a clean solder joint on the old metal. Would this work, considering there is a downslope to the gutter, acting like a layered flashing system, or would I have a problem of water backing up under the old roof?

Thanks

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration