How to double lock the ridge with TCS... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Traditional Roofing Magazine » How to double lock the ridge with TCS II ??? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Anonymous
Posted on Tuesday, August 02, 2005 - 02:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Any tips on how to seam the ridge on a TCS roof?
I'm having trouble bending the metal, I think the stainless is either too thick or too hard compared to the old terne. any advise or a step-by step would be great.
(p.s. this is the method where the standing seams are bent over flat and then folded into a double seam running the length of the ridge)
Thanks

TonyF, EriePA
Posted on Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 10:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I haven't done a stainless ridge, but it seems straightforward, at least with easy-to-work-with copper .. maybe you need long-handled tongs for TCS just to get good leverage? So here's some starting ideas: When you standing-seam one side of the roof, extend the panels maybe 2" beyond the ridge and flatten down the double-locked seams for the top 6" or so. Then bend the panels back (eg by 90 degrees if you're doing a 12:12 roof) where they cross the ridge line so that they lie in the same plane as the other side of the roof. Do the other side of the roof, again flatten down the top 6" or so of standing seam, and then extend these panels maybe 1.5" beyond the ridge so that they're now touching the 2" extensions on side one ... these numbers depend on how tall your standing seams need to be and on whether your ridge line is straight, true and closed. Then you can straighten both opposing metal planes to the vertical position and do a standard double-lock seam .... or you may be able to do the double-lock in the sloped position and then bend the completed joint back to vertical. Just make sure that the standing seams on each side of the roof are offset from each other (eg by half a panel width) so that you dont get bumpy/crimped-up bulges when doing the ridge double-lock. Howzat?

Anonymous
Posted on Saturday, August 06, 2005 - 04:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

great, thanks for the reply

I welded up some duckbill visegrips to help bend the ridge.
seems to be working, not easy though

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration