Roofs and Turrets Segovia Spain Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Traditional Roofing Magazine » Roofs and Turrets Segovia Spain « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Braymer (Braymer)
Username: Braymer

Post Number: 67
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 02:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That is a good site, loaded with resources and good pictures. Thanks. Is the Slate Man still working out in the snow?

Slate_man (Slate_man)
Username: Slate_man

Post Number: 356
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 06:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here is a link to more pictures of this church.

http://www.greatbuildings.com/buildings/Sagrada_Familia.html

Braymer (Braymer)

Post Number: 66
Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 09:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Two shots of those arches..

Braymer (Braymer)

Post Number: 65
Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 08:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The architects name is Antonio Gaudi, the church is the Sagrada Familia. This guy had unorthodox designs to his arches and achieved outrageous spans with hardly any tension at the bottom (the outward thrust at the bottom was eliminated by his designs). He worked from sketches but mostly used 3 dimensional scaled models that he built in his shop. I think he died in the 20's - he actually lived alone and worked in this building until his death. In the civil war during the 30's in Spain, his workshop was demolished by the war machine, and most of his models and drawings went too. I heard students have rebuilt many models and found drawing remnants in the ruins and there are drawings out there now. Maybe Googling his name or searching by the name of the Church would get more info.

Old_school (Old_school)
Advanced Member
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 41
Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 08:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You would be able to work on the same roof as your great Grandfather, Grandfather, father, and then let your son work on it too. What fun.

How could you possibly keep going on a project for 100 years? Where are the original prints?

Slate_man (Slate_man)

Post Number: 354
Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 05:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That would be something, to work on one building for a 100 years. That would be great.

Braymer (Braymer)

Post Number: 64
Posted on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 05:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Two from Barcelona, the one with the towers and cranes is a crazy "new" builing going up, it has been under construction for 100 years now.

Braymer (Braymer)

Post Number: 63
Posted on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 02:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I wish it was me that took those..
My friend / co-worker has the time and money to travel, so when he went away recently - I made him take as many roof photos as he could since I knew he would see some nice ones. Yes these are from the other towers, this particular building had lots of them. Great masonry too, look at those extruded mortar joints, you dont see much of that in the US.

Do you see the hooks in the "ridges" of the turrets? I think those were for staging since each side is at the same hieght for planks, etc. Tell me if I am wrong about those.
I will get out there some day, just have to MAKE the time.

Slate_man (Slate_man)

Post Number: 352
Posted on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 05:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Very cool what were you doing out that way. Are the picture taken from another tower.

Old_school (Old_school)
Intermediate Member
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 36
Posted on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 08:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wow, you had to be in a helicopter to take those! Those boys knew what they were doing when they installed those slates. The staging necesssary to get to the bottoms of the roofs would be quite daunting to accomplish. Good to see that the craft is still florishing.

Can you imagine the people around the States that would install asphalt shingles on them? They would probably cheap it out too; since no one would want to get up there and inspect it. Wow!

Braymer (Braymer)

Post Number: 61
Posted on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 04:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here are some photos of roofs in Segovia, Spain taken a couple of months ago.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration