Best way to set up for chimney repair Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Traditional Roofing Magazine » Best way to set up for chimney repair « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Shrllc (Shrllc)
Username: Shrllc

Post Number: 26
Posted on Monday, January 12, 2009 - 06:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chimney brackets are the solution, you can then add as many bays of pipe staging as you need to safely reach the top. I have faced situations in which chimney brackets would not work, in that situation I used a combination of ridge ladders, traditional slate brackets and 2" rough sawn lumber to bring it all together.

COLIN WHITE
Username: Nutmeg

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 01:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

IF ANYONE IS LOOKING FOR VANGUARD BRAND PIPE SCAFFOLDING, TUBE AND CLAMP SCAFFOLDING,OR WERNER STAGING OR LADDERS TO RENT OR PURCHASE, WE ARE LOCATED IN NORWALK,CT AND CAN PROVIDE ANY OF THIS FOR YOU. USUALLY CAN DELIVER SAME DAY SO YOU DONT HAVE TO HOLD UP THE JOB. WE SERVICE ALL FAIRFIELD, WESTCHESTER, AND PARTS OF NEW HAVEN COUNTIES. GIVE US A CALL 203-847-5258

Tony Conte
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2003 - 03:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Many of you, certianly Joe, has faced this one before, but I haven't figured out the best approach yet. I have a chimney near my built in gutter on my slate roof that needs flashing and repair. Thanks to the SRB I feel pretty comfortable about the flashing part, but I haven't quite envisioned a safe yet easy way to set up for work on the top of the chimney. It is about 10 feet from the roof line to the top of the chimney. Ladders and ladder jacks on the roof won't quite get me to the top. A forty foot ladder propped against the chimney itself might work, but I'm a bit apprehensive about putting that much weight and pressure against a chimney that needs work. Plus, I would only have access to the narrow side (16") of a 28" wide chimney stack. If scaffolding were set up, it would need to cantilever about 5 feet just to reach the near side of the chimney. I guess you could use ladder hooks on two ladders in order to support the cantilever at the far side of the chimney. I know this scenerio has been faced before, and just wanted to get advise on the best way to approach this job.
By the way, this message board is a wonderful source of information. I've been reading it for a few weeks now, but this is my first honest to goodness posting. Thanks for all the time and effort you guys have been putting into answering folks questions. Cheers.

Anonymous
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2003 - 04:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just finished a chimney very similar to yours. It is on my neighbors driveway side of the house and considered renting scaffold and am glad I didn't because it became an extensive restoration and took four weeks due to weather and other changes. So I built a wood scafold on the roof anchoring at base of chimney and running two horizontal 2x8's on edge back to cleats on roof then fixed planks to these. Worked great. It was 7 ft off roof and allowed me to rebuild top 5 ft. of chimney.

Anonymous
Posted on Saturday, December 20, 2003 - 11:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello Mr. Conte,

This is an interesting problem. I have success-
fully solved some tricky access problems on my
house after many hours of head scratching.

My approach would be to build a steel tube-and-
clamp scaffold on the roof and possibly lean
a ground-based ladder on the scaffold. I would
measure the slope of the roof and have a welder
make base plates at the appropriate angle to
support vertical scaffold pipes. Last summer
I used this procedure to build a scaffold on
my front porch roof to gain access to the upper
gable.

Of course this has to be thought through care-
fully. I would practice building a few tube-
and-clamp scaffolds on the ground if you've
never done this kind of thing before. As a
backup measure, I also wear a safety harness,
tied with a 1/4" steel cable to a tree or heavy
weight on the far side of the house.

Do you by any chance live in Eastern PA or
vicinity? If so I might drive by and look at
your house at some point.

Regards,
David Zimmerli

admin
Posted on Saturday, December 20, 2003 - 03:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Every chimney is different, it seems. A high chimney at the drip edge of a house can be easily and safely accessed by using pipe scaffolding. Hook ladders on both sides of the chimney may make a rest for horizontal planks running from the scaffold to the roof, and/or roof jacks and planks on the roof can do the same thing. We have been using microlam planks for scaffold purposes lately - no risk of breaking. We also use 16' aluminum planks quite often. Sometimes it takes some creativity to scaffold an unusual chimney. Some framing built of 2x4s around the chimney can sometimes be a big help.

Joe

Walter Musson
Posted on Sunday, December 21, 2003 - 09:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sounds like you might want to buy or rent a staging set up from Vanguard Manufacturing called a chimney bracket scaffold.It consists of two steel frames which can be attached to the roof then adjust the top arm to the pitch of the roof.If set 7 feet apart you use a standard x brace to hold them together on the low side.There are staging pins 5 feet apart on each frame so that you can set standard staging frames on top of these roof frames and go up 15 or 20 feet if you need to.Sometimes you can surround the chimney in need of work if it's not too large or you might have to set just on the low side and plank to the ridge or as others have said work out some other wooden scaffolding in addition to this apparatus.

Tony Conte
Posted on Monday, December 22, 2003 - 11:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks to all for the postings! They pretty much pointed me in the right direction. After reading all the responses, it sounds like a combination of wood framing in addition to tube and clamp scaffolding should do the trick. I appreciate the input.

Anonymous
Posted on Sunday, January 29, 2006 - 05:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I got a job installing fire places and part of the job is installing the flashing cap and termination . The pitch on the houses is about a 10/12 I need to get to the top which is 10 feetup
a 40 ft. only goes to the eve how could I safly
reach the top of the chase to cap flash and install the termination need a quick set up to go house to house thanks Steve

admin
Posted on Saturday, February 04, 2006 - 06:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How you would access the chimney top depends on where the chimney is located on the roof (centre of ridge? gable end? at eaves? middle of roof?).

Anonymous
Posted on Thursday, March 02, 2006 - 09:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Admin
the chimney's are gable end and eves, middle
of the roof. posting jan 29 2006.thanks steve
email ogozaly@epix.net

Ward Hamilton
Posted on Sunday, March 19, 2006 - 06:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Recently I saw an (old) episode of This Old House (Watertown, MA) where the company erecting the pipe scaffolding for the 2 chimneys had adjustable frames. They were specifically for chimney/roof work, completely adjustable, and had two horsecocks that adjusted as well to accomodate additional frames above. Any ideas on a distributor? I searched the internet and just kept coming up with a systme in the UK. Any help is appreciated.

Walter Musson
Posted on Sunday, March 19, 2006 - 08:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think you're looking for a "chimney bracket scaffold" mabe by Vanguard Manufacturing.
There are other makers as well-one of my sets is made in Canada.

Joe
Posted on Sunday, March 19, 2006 - 12:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Vanguard Mfg. Chimney Bracket Scaffolding System.

This Chimney bracket scaffolding base is used to scaffold around chimneys or similar objects on the roof. Adjustable angles allow for various roof pitch. The chimney bracket system makes a 5 x 7 work area and includes 2 brackets and 1 7' cross brace. Total Weight 102 lbs

Available on Ebay for $300.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7513596309&category=42914

timmyd
Posted on Sunday, March 19, 2006 - 08:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

was that the episode where they were using epdm instead of copper on the chimney cricket!, i thought it bizzarre to say the least that anyone would recomend it, espescially on that particular building.

v M/\son v/\
Posted on Saturday, March 25, 2006 - 02:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a question for any persone with an idea on a setup around a chimney, which i can get to the top of since it is in the middle of the house.

With the pitch of the roof I am unable to reech on side of the chimney. Any ideas that require little building?

joe
Posted on Saturday, March 25, 2006 - 09:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How high is the chimney above the roof?

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration