Slate Ripper Advice / Question Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Traditional Roofing Magazine » Slate Ripper Advice / Question « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Eric Braymer
Intermediate Member
Username: Braymer

Post Number: 31
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2008 - 07:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks. This particular roof suffered from an idiot working on it. There were also 2 entire rows face nailed with 3 inch box nails and siliconed. Many replacements were done with shorter slates leaving no headlap. The immediate leaks are fixed, but they will have more..

Kurtis Hord
Username: Kwhord

Post Number: 119
Posted on Sunday, December 07, 2008 - 09:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I saw slates once that were nails 4x each and wired to skip-lath decking. They must have suffered a tornado and were really paranoid when they re-roofed.

Slate Affair Inc.
Username: Slate_man

Post Number: 309
Posted on Sunday, December 07, 2008 - 08:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well you can always try and shear off the nails as you doing the repair, instead of ripping. So, a up truss where you try and shear the nails as low as you can. Take the slate out, make sure the nail holes on the new pcs of slate are the same as the old slate. As you slide your new pcs of slate in, put your ripper under it so you can work the slate over the small nail stubs by rocking side to side. So this is the time you want the front of the ripper real sharp.

Eric Braymer

Post Number: 30
Posted on Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 03:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks much. The nails are not ring shanked, just 2 to 2 1/2 inch hot dipped, they really stick in those nice old roof boards. That Stortz 90a and 92a does have the same look and slot config. as those Freunds I saw. I guess I will have to get myself one of those for Christmas and see if the angled slots keep hold of the nails better. The job is almost done now, I just swore more than usual. Cheers.

Joe Jenkins
Username: Joe

Post Number: 340

Posted on Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 12:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here's a link to some rippers: http://josephjenkins.com/store/home.php?cat=254.

Are the nails ring-shanked? They tend to break off and are a pain in the ass.

Walter Musson
Username: Walter_musson

Post Number: 111
Posted on Friday, December 05, 2008 - 05:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Eric,
When I have time on a snow day sometime soon , I'll dig out and take pictures of my hammers and rippers.
Thanks for the interest in seeing them.

Eric Braymer

Post Number: 28
Posted on Friday, December 05, 2008 - 08:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks everyone, very helpful.
The nails are mostly galvanized, installed about 1906 and too long. The nails usually fly right out with my Stortz, but not here. Anyone have a favorite type or brand that they use?
Also - Mr. Musson, there was an earlier thread in this section called "Slate Hammers (Make/model", those are great pics of your hammers, do you have more pictures? I would really like to see photos of that Super Pexto or other tools that you use. Thanks for the ripper advice.

Slate Affair Inc.
Username: Slate_man

Post Number: 307
Posted on Friday, December 05, 2008 - 05:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Don't sharpen your ripper-hooks, you want to pull your nails out. Sharp the front of the ripper, so that when you have a small stub, you can cut if off with a few up thrust at the nail.

What are the nails?

Walter Musson
Username: Walter_musson

Post Number: 110
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 05:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

http://www.nabocker.com/index.cfm?CFID=6795746&CFTOKEN=56259516

Peter
Username: Plaughlin1

Post Number: 27
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 05:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You could try a 14" metal cutting blade on a sawzall, this works pretty good, if you are carefull.
Plus you dont pull the nail out so you dont have any holes in the underlayment.

Eric Braymer

Post Number: 27
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 04:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Looking for info or suggestions here. I use a Stortz heavy duty ripper and like it alot for most uses. However, I am having trouble pulling nails effectively on a repair job I am doing now. Whoever installed this roof used nails that are too long (2" or longer), so when I am ripping them out, most get part way out and just bend over or I pull the head right off. Then I either have a bent nail or a stub with no head to get out before installing a new slate. I then try to smack it forward and grab it again, but sometimes I am breaking the overlying slate in the process. This is happening ALOT on this roof and is slowing me down quite a bit. I was thinking of grinding a little more of a "V" in the nail groove so it hangs on to the nail more, but also fear this might cut the nail off instead of pulling it out. I also saw some nice Freund rippers with 3 grooves on each side that have a tighter nail grabbing V by the looks - but I cant find anywhere to buy these things . Does anyone have a suggestion on a technique to rip these longer nails more effectively or know where I can buy these Freund rippers, or another one that works better?

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration