Need Repair Suggestions to Copper Sta... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Traditional Roofing Magazine » Need Repair Suggestions to Copper Standing Seam Roof « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Kurtis Hord
Username: Kwhord

Post Number: 100
Posted on Wednesday, October 08, 2008 - 02:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can you post some better photos?

Slate Affair Inc.
Username: Slate_man

Post Number: 275
Posted on Wednesday, October 08, 2008 - 06:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

From what I can see it looks bad.

Melissa Lieb
Username: Melissalieb

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, October 07, 2008 - 10:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for your input...it helps

John Chan
Username: John_chan

Post Number: 11
Posted on Tuesday, October 07, 2008 - 05:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I can't see the whole roof very well, but it looks fairly low pitched. I'd try opening the seams and cutting out a couple more feet of the copper standing seam. I'd install a new piece of copper with a built in lock at the top. You could slide your copper 6" or so underneath the copper standing seam and lock it onto the standing seam with a built in lock and butyl caulk in the lock. Then you could wire wheel the old copper and rivet and solder the new piece on at the bottom. I think the locked and caulked seam would positively prevent any capillary action from occurring.

Melissa Lieb
Username: Melissalieb

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, October 07, 2008 - 04:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a coper standing seam roof that was installed with skylights minus the cricket on the upslope. Crickets were installed later and damaged the standing seams and panels during the process. The cricket and copper panels overlap but are not sealed. I would like to repair the open overlap with applying NP-1 caulk between the two pieces, then using copper rivets to pop rivet the pieces together, then installing strips of butyl tape over the rivets and seam as a belt and suspenders system. Any alternative repair suggestions or product information on the butyl tape. I have had experience with Alumaflash butyl tape manufacturered by Republis Powdered Metals, but since this product has aluminum on one side it do not was to use it because of galvanic corrosion. Any suggestions?

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration