How to learn metal roofing skills? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Traditional Roofing Magazine » How to learn metal roofing skills? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Joe Jenkins
Username: Joe

Post Number: 81
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 04:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, you can beat the seams over at the top, then cover with ridge. At the drip edge, snip the standing seams back and fold the remaining metal over the drip edge.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Holly G Gates
Username: Hgates

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 10:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi there, I'd like to start messing with some small metal roofing projects at my house. I bought a roll of 20oz copper from Joe Jenkins store, and I have a 3ft brake I can use at work.

Looking around the web, and in SRB, I feel like I understand the basics of how standing seam and flat lock go together in the main part. But many of the details are unclear to me, particularly at transitions. For instance, what do you do at the ridge of a standing seam roof? I feel like I have seen cases where the seams have been beat over at the top to go under a ridge piece but I'm not sure. Also stuff like how to integrate the drip edge, flashing into inside corners etc.

Seems like there are some promising books over at oldworlddistributors.com, but they cost $300+. I might be able to do that at some point if I was sure one of those books had what I wanted, but even that it would be pretty painful. None of these are at my local library of course.

Anyways, anyone have any recommended reading or books I could get hold of? Apologies if this topic has been hit before I and didn't see it.

Thanks,
-Holly Gates

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration