Water from roof valley goes over gutters Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Ice and Water Membrane, Plywood, and other Controversies » Water from roof valley goes over gutters « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Old_school (Old_school)
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 1183
Posted on Tuesday, August 23, 2016 - 03:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just install a 20 ounce copper diverter to the front lip. the way your dormer is situated, it acts as a ice fence by itself. You are going to damage the slates if you keep on taking the snow off. What I am telling you will work and it will be a lot less hassle in the long and short run.

You can install a snow fence if you want to, but you have to take off some of the slates to do it. It will again cause some damage to the roof, and until / unless it is damaged by the snow and ice, it would be a foolish thing to do. If it is not broken, don't try and fix it.

Listove (Listove)
Username: Listove

Post Number: 12
Posted on Tuesday, August 23, 2016 - 10:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Old_School. I'm afraid that if I extend the effective height of the gutter in the front, that in the winter, sliding snow will just rip it off.
Can you retrofit a snow fence on an existing roof? I thought perhaps in the center of the fence, I could attach a solid piece of copper to deflect the water, but with the snow fence firmly attached to the roof, it would stay there with sliding snow and ice in the winter.
It's going to take a lot of willpower to leave the snow on the roof!

Old_school (Old_school)
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 1182
Posted on Monday, August 22, 2016 - 06:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nice house! Take a piece of copper about 3' long and attach it to the front lip of the gutter so that when the water comes down instead of going over the top it will be retained in the gutter and flow to the down spouts. It will be a lot less noticeable and so the same thing. You often see this same thing at the bottom of valleys on all houses, so it is a common problem.

If you haven't had any leakage from ice buildup in the winter, leave the snow alone on the roof. It will cause damage to the slates eventually, and it will slide off by itself. The ice guards are there to keep it on the roof, but the slates are slippery enough so that it will fall sooner than later. good luck.

Listove (Listove)
Username: Listove

Post Number: 11
Posted on Sunday, August 21, 2016 - 06:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In heavy rains water from the main roof comes down the valley, then comes down the roof at the bottom and flows over the gutters.

Rear Roof

Below the gutter is a window, and the left side has a plant bed beneath it. A long heavy rain has water go through this bed and seep into the basement.

Rear Window below valley

I've rigged a piece of aluminum sliding it under a slate and attaching it to two snow guards which I hope will divert the water and spread it out so that it can enter the gutter, or at least if it overflows, it goes down into an area with two drains.

The house is in Long Island and gets snow. I take a roof rake to it as a precaution against ice damning, although I've never had an issue in the 10 years I've had this slate roof.

Is what I've done the best solution, in which case I'll make it out of copper and properly affix it to the roof. Or do I put some type of scupper where the valley ends and have that go into a leader to the right side and into the downspout of the gutter? Or does someone have a better solution?

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration