Copper dormer roof covered in rubber Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Ice and Water Membrane, Plywood, and other Controversies » Copper dormer roof covered in rubber « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

scott horne
Posted on Sunday, July 02, 2006 - 04:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have 3 dormers that have curved roofs that originaly covered with copper sheeting. The dormers are about three feet in width.The main roof is slate. At some point previous homeowner had rubber glued to the copper.I assume the copper must have pin holes and had leaked. The house was built in 1929.
The original copper looks like it was just flat copper sheeting with the edges lapped over the wood trim around the window.
I would like to restore these round roofed dormers with copper. What should i be aware of when discussing the project with potential contractors? I read in one post not to use ice and water shield under copper.
I would also like to replace the windows as they are steel casements and replace the wood trim so no more painting. Can the wood trim be covered in painted aluminum to match the new windows? The window company has the aluminum painted. If the copper touches the aluminum with this cause a problem even though the aluminum is painted?

Your expertise is greatly appreciated.
Scott
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

scott horne
Posted on Sunday, July 02, 2006 - 03:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I also had new copper gutters installed. The first two rows of slate was removed so the 3 inch apron on the gutters could be nailed to the roof with brass hangers.
My question after looking out the window of the brick dormer over the front door, on each side of the brick dormer, the slate roof begins and I can see the starter course and the slate on top do not lie flat on the wood strip nailed for the starter course. I know the slate didn't look like that before the gutters were installed. The roofers did put ice and water shield under the starter course.
I argued it shouldn't be used.
I hope I don't have winter problems with ice and snow build up in the gutters
What in the world did the roofers do? How could the starter course not lie flat on the roof. Will this allow water to penatrate under the slate.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration