Flexim Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Ice and Water Membrane, Plywood, and other Controversies » Flexim « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Bob_wewer (Bob_wewer)
Username: Bob_wewer

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, November 07, 2013 - 11:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Linseed Oil based is better than the old coal tar based stuff that rotted copper like crazy.

Scottishslater (Scottishslater)
Username: Scottishslater

Post Number: 29
Posted on Thursday, April 26, 2012 - 06:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

a think that flexim looks good

John_chan (John_chan)
Username: John_chan

Post Number: 101
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2012 - 08:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We've been using Flexim since 1997. Problems with it are rare, but very occasionally squirrels will scratch at it and rip it to shreds. I'm not sure why this is, but this has only happened maybe 3x over the last 15 years. One case was so bad, we had to use mortar, because they would repeatedly rip it up.

Slate_man (Slate_man)
Username: Slate_man

Post Number: 719
Posted on Saturday, April 21, 2012 - 02:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have jobs with Flexim on them for some 12 plus years with no issue at this point!

Joe (Joe)
Username: Joe

Post Number: 679
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2012 - 11:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

http://www.traditionalroofing.com/TR8_flexim.html

Branden_wilson (Branden_wilson)
Username: Branden_wilson

Post Number: 119
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2012 - 01:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i can't seem to find the thread about flexim. it was in a past issue of tr mag. it is a product that is strikingly similar to nickelodian floam (a toy for children in the 90's) that was used on a slate roof in california to adhere clay hip and ridge tiles. i was extremely sceptical of this product as a replacement for mortar and even more distressed by tr promoting such an unproven compromise, even selling it long before it had proved it's claims. but anyway i haven't heard one more thing about it. aren't those who are selling and promoting it concerned or at least interested in getting an update? this stuff might work but to not be a fool we're gonna have to wait and see. right? anyway i'd appreciate an update. i wouldn't have used it but if i did, i'd be stopping by at least once a year to make sure it's functioning properly and there are no side effects from the compromise. i would feel even more duty to do so if i was selling and promoting it. and don't just report good news either, if it's failing....admit it. people come here to hear objective truth about permanent roofs, lets not treat them like the rest of the roofing market and just read them a brochure.

btw mortar works well but requires integrity from the installer to function properly. mortar sets up fast on a roof, especially in the summer. if it starts to set in the bucket, you don't add more water! you throw it out and make more. you've got to keep the roof and tiles clean at all times. and never ever ever whip up any kind of mortar with a power drill, ever. this applies to any situation where mortar is used but requires extra effort and attention on a roof.

REAL SLATER

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration