Best IWS for slate Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Ice and Water Membrane, Plywood, and other Controversies » Best IWS for slate « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Branden_wilson (Branden_wilson)
Username: Branden_wilson

Post Number: 120
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2012 - 01:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

the result of regulation. now instead of having choices, you get to choose what brand.

REAL SLATER

Omm (Omm)
Username: Omm

Post Number: 21
Posted on Saturday, March 24, 2012 - 12:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In nys if you are replaceing in kind, you do not have to follow the new rules. But if are doing a total replacement of a different roofing system, the rules applie. The way around the system is to include the installation manuals, which is basically jj slate roof Bible or evergreens book, in your permit app. It works every time!!

Cpaulin (Cpaulin)
Username: Cpaulin

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, March 24, 2012 - 12:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Better yet, do like they did 100 years ago and don't use any ice/water shield. Or any other damn sticky stuff. Completely unnecessary, and future repair men will curse you less. Increase your headlap to 5" at the eaves instead.

Old_school (Old_school)
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 704
Posted on Wednesday, September 07, 2011 - 05:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We always use Grace I & w on our shingle roofs. It would be best to cover it with a #15 or #30 felt before you put the slate on. It will stick and that makes it a bitch when trying to repair it.

Sniffingratty (Sniffingratty)
Username: Sniffingratty

Post Number: 10
Posted on Tuesday, September 06, 2011 - 10:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Had a talk with the inspector today and he told me that I have to use IWS 3ft around whole perimeter of my roof and on the valleys. It seems that not all of these products are created equal, in yalls opinion what would be the best product to use? Maybe I should ask what would be the worst product to use, because that may make repairs easier (less sticky?) Should I just go for the cheapest? Should I add a layer of felt or something else over it to prevent sticking?

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration