Does a membrane cause damage? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Ice and Water Membrane, Plywood, and other Controversies » Does a membrane cause damage? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Anonymous
Posted on Monday, March 14, 2005 - 03:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dear Mr. Jenkins:
I am a homeowner and need advice on underlay for a new slate roof. The house is a Cape Code built in 1932. It has a steep roof. The decking is boards, not plywood. The location is Georgia.
The roofing contractor wants to use a membrane called Titanium and is opposed to using felt. My concern, however, is that wood needs to breathe and that a membrane will cause condensation and rot, particularly here in the South.
What underlay should I get? Is a membrane a mistake?
Many thanks.

Walter Musson
Posted on Monday, March 14, 2005 - 07:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The underlayment he is refering to is a replacement for felt.It is not a membrane like ice and water shield.It has a high reflectivity and non skid surface.It doesn't deteriorate like felt.
I think more and more roofing contractors will begin to use these new synthetic underlayments as they're proven to be effective.
You can read a good review if you type in titanium underlayment on www.roofingcontractor.com on their search function.

Peter
Posted on Tuesday, March 15, 2005 - 06:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,

I agree with Walter, and he has the local knowledge regarding the brand names.

In Ireland and the UK products like Tyvek and Starex have become the preferred choice as underlay because the membranes allow the roof to "Breathe" while at the same time are rot proof.

Roofing felt usually forms it's own seal at the laps in hot weather and is subject to breaking down over time especially in exposed areas like the gutters.

Kind Regards,

Peter Crawley, M.I.o.R.

www.crawleyroofing.com

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration