New gutters Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Ice and Water Membrane, Plywood, and other Controversies » New gutters « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Sherry Brown
Posted on Tuesday, October 26, 2004 - 09:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My daughter has a "new" (new to her) house with a slate roof that is magnficent. No leaking, no problems there. the problem is that there is basically NO gutters. I believe that some may have been on and came off. the house is about 75 years old.

After speaking with one gutter contractor I decided I needed to be more informed. So here are my questions:

1. How do you install alumnimum gutters on a slate roof?
2. Is is a regular practice to NOT have gutters at all on a slate roof (as this contractor suggested).

Anonymous
Posted on Tuesday, October 26, 2004 - 12:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

First I would not install alum. gutters on a slate roof, only copper and installed properly so they carry the water not become a ice and snow DAM. Next, you really only need gutters for two (in my opinion) reasons. First if you have water issues in the basement next if a doorway is positioned so when you walk out of it the rain water soaks you. Have them installed correctly (yes there is a right and wrong way to install gutters) or they will become a problem that you will wish you never got involved in. SLATE ON!

admin
Posted on Tuesday, October 26, 2004 - 05:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Aluminum gutters are fine if the gauge is correct (.032" NOT .015" or .019"). In any case, NEVER hang gutters on gutter straps that are nailed or screwed through the slates themselves. Always use either fascia hangers or install the hangers underneath the slate. Make sure there is a hanger on every rafter end - two feet on center maximum spacing. You can read about installing copper gutters at http://www.traditionalroofing.com/TR1-coppergutters.html

Anonymous
Posted on Friday, January 13, 2006 - 09:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Our original slate roof is in good condition (86 yrs old) but we have replaced our aluminum gutters 5x in the last seven years due to ice dams as mentioned above. The gutters are attached to facia boards which also tend to get torn down in the avalanche. This is the first I have heard of not using gutters w/ a slate roof. Our entryway has a roof covering it so I wonder if this may be the best option for us or if we should consider copper gutter replacement. I would imagine the copper gutters to be quite costly?

admin
Posted on Friday, January 13, 2006 - 12:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are you hanging the gutters so the outer edge is below the roof plane? (http://www.traditionalroofing.com/TR1-coppergutters.html)

Anonymous
Posted on Friday, January 13, 2006 - 04:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What about a (built on roof) yankee gutter system. Done alot of them, all with success.

admin
Posted on Sunday, January 15, 2006 - 12:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey anonymous - email me directly - we can use an article on how to buiild a yankee gutter in a future Traditional Roofing magazine.

Dennis Cubero
Posted on Monday, January 30, 2006 - 08:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it possible to install gutter onto exposed rafters tails and no fascia boards? The house was to have a key west effect. The architect and the builder obviously weren't on the same page. Now there saying it can't be done without the gutter sagging. It seems to me (me being the owner) that fascia needs to be installed and then gutter. I know that we will lose the look of the house. This is a 2 story house and when it rains its everywhere. If there is a way I need to know. Thanks

admin
Posted on Monday, January 30, 2006 - 09:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't see why you can't install the gutters directly onto the rafter tails as long as the gutter hangers can be adequately fastened to the rafter tails.. Use screws.

http://www.traditionalroofing.com/TR1-coppergutters.html

slateworks
Posted on Monday, January 30, 2006 - 11:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You could install a Alcoa roof apron(installs under your roofing material) or make your own to match gutter material,then either use strap hangers that fasten on the roof or fascia hangers that would fasten at the rafter ends(install strap hangers so they are fastened at rafters also), or as Joe stated you can fasten the gutter directly to the rafter ends.

Anonymous
Posted on Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 08:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Go with copper 1/2 round 5". Call slate and copper sales in Erie, PA. They have gutter, downspouts and an awesome hanger system that is second to none. You can install the hangers (a thick heavy-duty beautiful hangers) right to the rafter tails with the up-most ease. They recommend a stainless steel screw. The gutter is 20.5 OZ. and the downspout is round smooth with a seamless look (like a copper water pipe). They also have a HUGE supply of accessories both plain (simple look and fancy) browse their web site at www.slateandcopper.com YOUR WELCOME!

Anonymous
Posted on Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 09:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

One more thing tell them you need the facia style gutter support hangers. NOT roof style hangers. If you want a traditional FL. Keys look do not I repeat do not use a roof mounted or a strap hanger. Only a facia hanger attached to the rafter ends. They have both raw copper and zinc coated (grey look) copper. The zinc coated took the place of lead coated copper. Hope this helps--again.

slateworks
Posted on Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 05:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes the 1/2 round would be the better choice ,with fascia type hangers, the strap hangers under the roof would not look good with the open rafter style.

Greg
Posted on Tuesday, February 21, 2006 - 12:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have seen gutter hangers explictly for rafter tails in Old House Journal

Anonymous
Posted on Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 06:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I love the look of half-round copper gutters. Has anyone made an effective gutter guard for them?

Barry Smith
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 05:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The only half round gutter guard I have used was sold by Berger Bros. and it didn't work that well. The spring clips that are supposed to hold it on didn't work very well, so I had to go back in the spring and pick a lot of them up and reinstall them for the customer using copper wire to wire them on.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration