Proper application of ice & water mem... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Ice and Water Membrane, Plywood, and other Controversies » Proper application of ice & water membrane? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Old_school (Old_school)
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 327
Posted on Sunday, December 20, 2009 - 11:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Winter wonderland. Be careful shoveling it.

Deb (Deb)
Username: Deb

Post Number: 12
Posted on Sunday, December 20, 2009 - 06:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank You, John. I'm having a hard time getting into my email. Not sure what's wrong. I appreciate all of your help. I will definately send the estimate to you before I sign anything. Hopefully they will be in the ofice tomorrow. Roads very bad here.

Old_school (Old_school)

Post Number: 326
Posted on Sunday, December 20, 2009 - 04:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Deb, the snow is not going to make the roof any more "unstable" I believe that the slate can be repaired. Before you sign with Wagner, make sure you know what they are going to do and let us know. I would like you to send me a copy of their estimate too. If they spell out what they will do and with what, I can tell you from that how it will go for you.

Deb (Deb)

Post Number: 11
Posted on Sunday, December 20, 2009 - 03:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

John Chan had suggested Wagner Roofing. I was waiting for Old School to examine the slate before I asked them to give me an estimate on the work. I'll call them Monday. I am very concerned about the cost. I have a good friend who always did work for me, but not slate. This was always a much less costly alternative to getting a construction company. I buy supplies and pay him hourly. But I finally found the ONE thing he won't do! Never thought I'd see the day!

Deb (Deb)

Post Number: 10
Posted on Sunday, December 20, 2009 - 03:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey~ Thanks for the offer to estimate, Slate Man~~
No. I won't have you travelling from Vermont @ can't wait till late February. I need to find someone local and get the work done ASAP. It's very bad . When I started on this house I was told the roof may have been already leaking for 2 years. Unbelievable. I'm kicking myself that this isn't done yet, but I want it done right and not just patched up to last for a short while. Thank you so much for the offer tho. You are very deicated to your trade and there aren't many like you left!~!~ Not in Baltimore, anyway! We have had blizzard conditions here and my worst nightmare with this roof is now here. 20 inches of snow on an unstable roof. We haven't had this much snow here for many, many years. How's the weather way up North?

Olde_mohawk_masonry__historic_restoration (Olde_mohawk_masonry__historic_restoration)
Username: Olde_mohawk_masonry__historic_restoration

Post Number: 105
Posted on Saturday, December 19, 2009 - 10:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No hard feelings, Branden. We're good. I think that we're more on the same side than you might realize. Please know that I'm here and vocal BECAUSE I care about slating. Anyway, stay in the fight and keep plugging away. Best wishes for a pleasant and peaceful Christmas.

Ward

Branden_wilson (Branden_wilson)
Username: Branden_wilson

Post Number: 63
Posted on Saturday, December 19, 2009 - 08:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ward, i just noticed the name of your company. how stupid of me. really sorry man, i mean no disrespect. what i was reffering to is that for thousands of years mortar was a glue, not structural on it's own. they had to quarry stone by hand, i'm sure they would have much rather just built with mortar but for some reason they didn't. i wasn't trying to offend you or any other "masons". i realized this is not the place for my "rant and raves", i'm going to look into blogging as you mentioned. please email me sometime, maybe that's a better way for you and i to discuss our differences (if you're interested). i was just hoping to get more opinions on the matter from folks i respect. sorry deb and sorry ward. just wish there was a place for slaters in this world who don't want to own businesses.
http://www.youtube.com/user/REALSLATER

Slate_man (Slate_man)
Username: Slate_man

Post Number: 537
Posted on Saturday, December 19, 2009 - 07:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Deb, to get back to your post. If you want I will estmate the work for you, I will be more them a local company. Most in travel and hotel cost! My time frame in late feb.

Post Number: 62
Posted on Friday, December 18, 2009 - 08:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

wow, guess you set me straight ward. no need to respond to that. i wasn't trying to anger you. guess it's time to shut my mouth. like i said, happens every time i mention my faith. guess i'll learn one of these days.

(Message edited by branden wilson on December 18, 2009)

Olde_mohawk_masonry__historic_restoration (Olde_mohawk_masonry__historic_restoration)

Post Number: 104
Posted on Friday, December 18, 2009 - 06:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Branden, you are out of line to 'judge' other trades and refuse to recognize them as you have declared in this post. Much as your earlier claim "I once read that good slate roofers make good stone masons" was disrespectful. Yeah, I read it and checked out your work on Facebook. When you start to JUDGE and discount other trades you are NOT on HIS path. If Christ came back today and was a bricklayer, or a concrete finisher, you would not recognize HIS work as that of a REAL trade? You have lost your way. I will pray that you find your way back. You are hurting all of us trying to do the right thing with your unwarranted attacks.

Are you advocating that people hire contarctors who are not properly insured? Should they hire slaters who don't have the proper licensing, where such is required? Stand up and state your position once and for all. Stop dancing around the question.

By the way, brother, I have been HIS follower my whole Baptist, Bible-banging life. No drug or alcohol-induced stupor needed to send me in the right direction. Already there. So stop insulting Christians with your gratuitous references like you're making a point.

Deb (Deb)

Post Number: 9
Posted on Friday, December 18, 2009 - 05:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wow! I never expected to get this many responses. I am sooo gratefull for all the advice and information that you all have given me! I will keep reviewing your posts until it all sinks in. Good things come to those who wait. Although it has been awful these past few months having holes in the roof and not being able to find someone to repair it, I'm hopeful that with your help this will be resolved soon and I will no longer be emptying buckets of water on the second and third floors of the home. I was happy to read that Old School has examined the slate and determined that it is still repairable.We are expecting up to 12 inches of snow here tomorrow.

Old_school (Old_school)

Post Number: 323
Posted on Friday, December 18, 2009 - 03:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Branden, I aggree with you and with Ward at the same time. You from the point of view of the perfect world, and Ward from the point of view of what we are dealing with here and now.

I would bet that the guy that took 8 years to build his home paid for it in cash as he went. It was his. The purpose for the licenses and the insurance is that 95% of the time, we are working on structures that are owned by the bank (ie. Financed) and the only thing they know and understand is paper; an insurance certificate, a state license, a bond! A "paper" doesn't install one slate or stop one drop os water, but for the artificial person that is a bank, it is their God. If you are going to work on that type of structure, you are going to have that kind of paper; however worthless it is. I doubt of there are enough people with the money to do slate correctly that also own their homes free and clear for us to do only work for them.

HEY, I got a piece of slate from Deb in Baltimore. It is still in good shape and I am sure that roof is repairable. No question in my mind. 20 or 30 years of life in that slate yet as long as the flashings are fixed. How much it is going to cost and if she can afford to do it is the question right now. For those of you that looked at the pictures, the chimney needs to be re-flashed and counter-flashed, there is a widnward rake that needs to have the slates fixed and some wood to replace along the outside. Several missing slates and the slate at the short valley has to be fixed. Maybe 2-3 man days, is my guess without actually being at the site. Who is close enough and has the free time in their schedule?

Post Number: 61
Posted on Friday, December 18, 2009 - 11:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i'm understanding you a little clearer each time ward. those are some really good points. i especially like when you mention the tradesmen of "yesteryear". still though i feel a need to point out a couple of things. sorry ward, i'm this much of a pain to everyone who knows me!

i understand your analogy of the stamped concrete and the block guy even though i don't think either of those are REAL trades. i often use tile guys installing marble myself to compare to roofers installing slate. i just can't help but mention a recent situation i encountered that to me says that if one posses proper fundamentals,one can do anything. a guy who does something like stamped concrete is going to have a hard time applying what he knows to other trades.

i recently got called out to repair a slate roof. i encountered the most beautiful home i had ever seen. turns out this house was built by a man who had never built a home before or after this one. the home is timber framed, has a dade county pine t&g roof deck, was sided with 2" thick white cedar from the california gold mines, plastered walls and roofed with 24" random salvaged buckingham slates. right away i felt as though God had built this house. as i entered the front door i noticed a hand carved sign that read a scripture referring to building a house with God or not building it at all. this man had experience in none of these trades but yet he executed each and every one perfectly, even the slate roof. i am still in awe of this home. every single slate was laid perfectly, every timber joint fit perfectly, the siding was hand nailed with large copper nails and there's not a single hammer dent anywhere. i can't even describe this home with words. a man built this home for his family not for a profit. it took him 8 yrs from start to finish.

ok now my point, i can tell that this man approached this project with wise, sound fundamentals. he did his homework and stayed deep in prayer throughout the process. he was able to perform skilled trades like a master and this home will surely last for centuries.

those of us who possess those fundamentals excel at everything we put our hands on. we may not fit in with the foolishness of this world but our creator instructed us that it would be this way. when asked to describe a follower of christ, Paul referred to them as "people of the way". proper translation of the "way" from greek to english says "the way of truth". people who understand this have no problem understanding slate roofing the FIRST time they hear of it rather than getting swayed and led by foolish deceptions. you either get it or you don't and this applies to everything in life. this subject is hot or cold, not lukewarm. compromise is the devils oldest form of deception.

thousands of years ago people were much closer to understanding this and we have proof. what would be left of the united states in a thousand years if everything keeps going on the way it is? toxic waste is the only answer, certainly NOT beautiful, mindboggling architecture.

Jesus is often thought of as being a carpenter but the more proper term is "tecton" which is more like a stone mason. this should be no surprise as he was often called the "cornerstone" and the bible mentions proper building techniques several times.

in that same book there is mention of letting your yes mean yes and your no mean no. completely the opposite of insurance. even just twenty years ago i would be making a lot more sense but the foundation of our mental "structure" is very weak these days. we deny what we see with our own eyes, even recorded history and replace that wisdom with projections and false claims which are never supported by facts.

i also have to mention that the bible also tells us to obey the law of the land, so long as it doesn't interfere with God's law. i'm not trying to avoid insurance, anyone can buy insurance. i'm not trying to avoid a license, anyone can obtain one of those too. i am just challenging the system we've built to investigate truth. the majority of the men in our country today possess very little REAL skills, it's no wonder why the majority wants a system that rewards financial success over REAL skills. i'm not just out trying to sell slate roofing or myself, i'm diligently seeking for "the people of the way". and along the way it's important to wake up those who are asleep. God created every one of us and is aching for every single one of us to seek him...the "way".

those who are reading this and don't have a relationship with the God of the bible, please keep in mind that when one makes a decision to follow christ, they are by no means claiming to be perfect. actually quite the opposite, to follow Jesus is to admit you're a sinner and not worthy of his perfect love, grace and mercy and in so doing, picking up your sword and joining in the battle. i'm not trying to cause a religious debate, i just usually receive unnecessary judgement every time i mention my faith.

Old_school (Old_school)

Post Number: 321
Posted on Thursday, December 17, 2009 - 09:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well said Mohawk

Post Number: 102
Posted on Thursday, December 17, 2009 - 05:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't see Thomson Remodeling listed as an SRCA member ... proceed with caution!

Post Number: 101
Posted on Thursday, December 17, 2009 - 05:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

First off, if the contractor you are referring to is a member of the SRCA, and has a listing here, they have been screened by Joe Jenkins. This is not an end-all where due diligence is concerned; you must still screen the potential contractor BEFORE moving forward. I have pasted a copy of a blog I posted on my website a year ago. Good luck!

http://www.info.wardhamilton.com/blog/bid/10147/Finding-and-Screening-the-Right- Contractor-for-YOUR-Project ...will bring you to the below blog:

Surfing the web on a cold, Saturday evening in December, I find myself amazed at how few articles or blogs cut through the fluff and filler of hiring a contractor to address a topic critical to the success of your next project: finding the right guy for the job! An item I don't see addressed at all is the importance of finding the right contractor for the project at hand. While it seems like an obvious statement to make, and a simple enough obstacle to overcome, it is the single-most important element to the success of the project and ultimate satisfaction of you, the consumer.

No contractor is a master of all skill sets in a given trade. Let's look at masonry as an example. There are some masonry outfits that do nothing but stamped concrete. Because it's all they do, they're set up for it: the tools, equipment and crews who are proficient in their craft. This allows them to offer a quality product at a competitive price. Now consider the mason whose company primarily builds block and brick walls for commercial customers on a regular basis. He may be able to successfully complete a stamped concrete project, but there's a lot more planning and set-up involved, and he may have less-skilled workers for that particular project. Hence, his price is likely to be higher and there'll be less examples of his work for you to consider. The contractor you hire must have the tools, equipment, craftsmen, and experience needed to successfully complete your project.

Consider this analogy as it applies to restoration work. The knowledge and skill sets required to successfully rebuild a copper-lined, Philadelphia-style gutter on an old Colonial with a slate roof bring three trades into action: metal work, carpentry, and slate roofing. There are many carpenters who would find the copper-smithing and slate aspects of the job beyond their abilities. And many slaters are not capable of replicating the ornate cornice, corbels and detail of a built-in gutter. It is critical that a contractor provide you with more than a fancy proposal and attractive price for your project. He needs to demonstrate and prove himself through pictures, documentation and references for similar projects that he has already successfully completed.

Being a successful restoration contractor requires knowledge of the tools, materials and practices of tradesmen from yesteryear. One cannot rely on the best practices of modern construction, alone, as a basis of knowledge. Constant research through hundred-year-old trade manuals, the internet, and hands-on experience are the foundation on which a preservation worker basis his decisions and guides his crew through a project. It is a constant learning process and one that requires a high degree of interest and commitment to professional development. Make sure your prospective contractor is genuinely interested in the work on your home or building.

While we're on topic some words of caution are in order. Make certain that he's licensed and insured, as your city and/or state may require. Some states, like Massachusetts and Rhode Island, require a construction supervisor's licensing or registration with the state contractors' board. This type of information is easily accessed through the internet. Make certain to call your town or city building department to confirm what you find. If a permit is required, the contractor MUST secure it. If you fall for the old, "You pull the permit and I'll give you a price break," watch out. If any person is injured or property damaged during the job, it'll fall on your shoulders-you were the sneaky little devil who pulled the permit to save a few bucks. Most contractors who try this scam DO NOT have the insurances your town or city requires to grant the permit! You are making a significant investment in your home or building; don't cut corners when it comes to a permit.

It never ceases to amaze me how few clients ask for proof of the right insurance. Your contractor MUST have liability AND workers compensation insurances. General liability insurance for a MINIMUM $1 million personal injury and a MINIMUM $1 million property damage ARE NOT cost prohibitive for a restoration worker proposing to do high end work. A common scam many contractors run is to act like they have liability insurance, and that's good enough. Of equal or possibly greater importance is workers' comp. This one costs the big bucks and is what drives a legitimate contractor's prices up. However, it is also his protection AND YOURS if an employee gets hurt on the job. If an employee gets injured on your property and files a comp claim where coverage was NOT in effect, he can sue his employer AND YOU! Verify that your restoration contractor has workers' compensation insurance and provides you with a general liability certificate naming you and the property as ‘additionally insured parties.'

Following these simple guidelines will help you find the right outfit for your restoration project and get things moving in the right direction!

Post Number: 60
Posted on Thursday, December 17, 2009 - 12:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hey deb, i don't know any contractors in your area. just wanted to point out that if you notice in many of the posts on this site as well as others, there seems to be no connection between bbb members, licenses, ins, company size, etc.. and properly installed slate roofs. you're doing the right thing and in the right place. the guys here that spend their free time talking about slate are the best in the nation. you're working much harder than most homeowners to make sure you don't get screwed. good job and good luck.

Deb (Deb)

Post Number: 8
Posted on Thursday, December 17, 2009 - 09:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Has anyone heard of Thomson Remodeling in Baltimore?? They have a link to Joe's site on their web page. They are very close to the house and are w/ the BBB.

Deb (Deb)

Post Number: 7
Posted on Wednesday, December 16, 2009 - 08:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The roofer that gave me the very cheap estimate is Advanced Moisture Protection here in Baltimore. He says that they have done over 75 church roofs and that he knows slate installation. One concern besides the Externa Bond for the chimney is that he said he couldn't check the whole surface of the roof for popped nails because if they walked all over the roof to check them, they would break all the slates.
Not supposed to be WALKING on the slate,right???

Deb (Deb)

Post Number: 6
Posted on Wednesday, December 16, 2009 - 08:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank You to Old school for posting the roof pics for me!~! :O) John Chan~~~ I will call Wagner in the AM. Also appreciate your input, Slate man. Will wait and see what Old school thinks when he gets slate pieces from roof. I am happy to hear that you all think as I did that it is definitely repairable. I am however concerned about the cost.
Hopefully the SNOW will stay away from Baltimore!~!~!

John_chan (John_chan)
Advanced Member
Username: John_chan

Post Number: 49
Posted on Wednesday, December 16, 2009 - 04:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Deb,

I concur with Old School. It's a Chapman Black slate that looks repairable from the pictures. I would definitely use copper rather than Externa Bond or any other "patch". You have a nice looking roof, and it can be restored to last many, many more years. If you get someone who doesn't know what they're doing to work on it, it may need to be torn off and replaced.

Baltimore's a little far for us to travel for this size of job, but Wagner Roofing is in your area. They've done some very nice work over the years. Good Luck!

John Chan
www.durableslate.com
jchan@durableslate.com
800-666-7445

Slate_man (Slate_man)

Post Number: 534
Posted on Wednesday, December 16, 2009 - 03:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Look to me that a good restoration would work.

Old_school (Old_school)

Post Number: 318
Posted on Wednesday, December 16, 2009 - 01:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Deb sent me a bunch of pictures and I picked out 11 to post here. It is Chapman slate roof and it appears to be in pretty good shape. I know that the bands look like they are all crumbly but I will be able to tell when the piece of slate gets here. It looks to be in pretty good shape. The chimney is going to have to be fixed and the flashing replaced, but that is going to have to be done no matter what type of roof is installed. I believe the rake next to the back flat roof is exposed to the wind and it needs to have the boards fixed too. Two story gambrel roof, perhaps 19 feet to the eave.

Give the lady some input guys. I believe she is in Baltimore.

http://picasaweb.google.com/crookston.john4/DebSHouseRoof#

Old_school (Old_school)

Post Number: 317
Posted on Tuesday, December 15, 2009 - 05:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I will tell you guys the condition of the slate when it arrives!

Deb (Deb)

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, December 15, 2009 - 09:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Getting a piece of slate from the roof today and sending it to Old School to check out...
We'll see~~~~

Deb (Deb)

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, December 15, 2009 - 09:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK~~ I got up there and got pics of the roof this past Saturday. I sent them to Old School and am hoping that he can post the best ones for me. The best of the "worst" anyway. I'm holding off on signing a contract until I hear from "The Experts" here! :O) I am so grateful to have found your site, Joe !~! Everyone keeps telling me it doesn't matter... Just patch up the roof and get rid of this house, but I want to see this rehab thru and make sure it's done right and will last. A HUGE Thank You to Old School who has been advising me via email.

Old_school (Old_school)

Post Number: 310
Posted on Thursday, December 10, 2009 - 10:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Liam, I would if I could, but she sent them to my wifes' cell phone. My daughter tried to get them off the phone and onto the computer, but no go.

I did tell the lady to tap on a few of the slates to see how hard and dense they were. She said that the ones she tapped were a very dull thud which is not good. I believe from what she said though that those were some slates that were not on the roof. She said that they were "Chapman" Slates and they were about 98 years old. What is the expected life of one of those slates?

The pictures didn't look all that bad from what i could see, but there was nothing to give me a perspective of the roof or the height. I told here to post to the site and we will see if she can. Old School

Slate_man (Slate_man)

Post Number: 524
Posted on Thursday, December 10, 2009 - 07:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Old School send they to Joe or I and we will post them for every one.

Old_school (Old_school)

Post Number: 308
Posted on Wednesday, December 09, 2009 - 03:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Joe, she sent me some small pictures and I told her it looks like it could be repaired. It is hard for me to look at stuff like that and know that there is no way I can ever help because I am so far away. On the other hand, I know I can't be all things for all people. I just want to work close to home.

Joe (Joe)
Username: Joe

Post Number: 482
Posted on Tuesday, December 08, 2009 - 06:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Deb - post some photos of your roof.

Old_school (Old_school)

Post Number: 300
Posted on Saturday, December 05, 2009 - 05:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Deb, Thanks I will check and get back to you.

Deb (Deb)

Post Number: 3
Posted on Saturday, December 05, 2009 - 01:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Old_ School~~ I sent you an email concerning pics~ If you don't see it, check your spam folder. :O) Thanks, Deb

Old_school (Old_school)

Post Number: 298
Posted on Friday, December 04, 2009 - 09:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The difference in cost of materials between copper and aluminum on a chimney flashing is going to be maybe $100.00. The cost is going to be getting on the roof and accessing the chimney and the labor to tear out and replace the flashing plus whatever slate need to be replaced.

There is no way of knowing from your posting what the conditions of the roof slate is. If it is rotted and soft, replacing may be the only option. If it is still solid, the yahoos that are giving you estimates whould be boiled in their own asphalt! It happens all the time. "Roofers" will tear off a slate roof that needs $2,000.00 in repairs to last another 20-30 years before more repairs are needed, and charge $12,000.00 to tear off the slate roof and install an asphalt shingle roof that lasts for 15-20. go figure. Post some pictures!

Deb (Deb)

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, December 04, 2009 - 09:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you~~ I know that copper is very expensive. Is there a less expensive alternative metal flashing?? This is the only contractor that gave me an estimate on repairing the slate . All other ~ 6 ~ estimates came back w/ a complete tear~off and redo w/ asphalt shingles. Not what I asked for.Also, I was having a very hard time locating Chapman slate. I finally found it for $7 each plus s@h. I decided to go w/ local slate that doesn't match. The prev. owner had holes in this roof for 2 years and at this point, I need to get it water tight ASAP.

Old_school (Old_school)

Post Number: 296
Posted on Friday, December 04, 2009 - 08:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The BBB is a joke IMHO. Most of the other "organizations" are mutual admiration societies too. If you were in Michigan I could help you, but...

A copper flashing is what should be installed around a chimney on a slate roof.

Plaughlin1 (Plaughlin1)
Intermediate Member
Username: Plaughlin1

Post Number: 40
Posted on Thursday, December 03, 2009 - 09:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That would be HUGE red flag to me,Eternabond will only be a temporary fix-it is a glorified duct tape.
It works great for EPDM & Tpo patches but i would never try to flash a chimney with that.
Insist on a metal flashing.

Deb (Deb)

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, December 03, 2009 - 09:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

New here~~ The slate roof of the home I'm working on needs to be repaired. I got a very low estimate from a contractor who has a great rating w/ BBB and also the MD Home improvement Commission. He says he will use Externa Bond Membrane around the chimney instead of copper flashing. I don't know what this is. I tried to contact Ruff Roofers who are close to the home and after 7 days of calls and leaving a message on Ron's voice mail, I got no response ever. Can anyone help me before I sign a contract?? Snow here soon.

Old_school (Old_school)

Post Number: 263
Posted on Wednesday, October 14, 2009 - 06:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am surprised he could get the old shingles off from the I & W. I must not have been Grace Ice and Water Shield.

The shingles will do the water-proofing and the Ice and Water is designed for the nails. I would not be too worried about it. What is the pitch of the roof?

Chinook (Chinook)
Username: Chinook

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, October 13, 2009 - 08:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Recently a contractor installed an ice and water underlayment membrane on my roof prior to installing new composite shingles.
Unfortunately, he made an error installing the shingles and had to remove them and install new shingles. But he did not remove the original underlayment material - instead he installed the new shingles right over the underlayment from where the incorrectly installed shingles were removed. I believe the integrity of the underlayment has been comprimised by the original (now open) nail holes. Is this not correct? If not, does anyone have supporting information to the contrary?

Thanks

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration