Temperory Roof Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Ice and Water Membrane, Plywood, and other Controversies » Temperory Roof « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mikes8500 (Mikes8500)
Username: Mikes8500

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, June 16, 2009 - 01:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi guys, thanks for the responses.

The cleat idea sounds intriguing, my only concern is I'll be setting up some baker scaffolding, maybe 2 sections high, so I'm worried that might be too much weight coming down on the copper pans and they might deform downwards, or pull out of the upper part. I was looking at the S-5 clamps, the web site does not seem to show them contacting the roof at all, just the standing seam, would the copper be to flimsy? I suppose I could put a 2x8 across 2 seams and the scaffold leg in the middle to distribute the weight

Slate_man (Slate_man)
Username: Slate_man

Post Number: 423
Posted on Monday, June 15, 2009 - 08:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I would use a slip sheet still, felt then a rosin paper.

You also could install the copper roof, then install standing seam cleats, which you would screw plywood too. This would make you a pylwood deck for the different trades to work off.

Walter_musson (Walter_musson)
Username: Walter_musson

Post Number: 157
Posted on Monday, June 15, 2009 - 04:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Use Grace Ultra right over the existing sheathing and leave it there . It's high temp product made especially to go under metal and tile etc .
No slip sheet needed .

Mikes8500 (Mikes8500)
Username: Mikes8500

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, June 15, 2009 - 03:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi

I'm restoring my porch roof. I want to do it all in copper standing seam. I'm almost finished with the first phase, rebuilding the yankee gutter with copper. I'm doing siding restoration work so I want to hold off on the standing seam, because of all the traffic that will be on that roof, scaffolding etc. I was thinking of doing a temperory granular ice and water shield roof. It will probably be under the weather for at least a year. Should I stick it right to the sheathing and put my copper pans over later, or should I first tack on some thin layer of plywood then apply the I&WS so I can rip the whole mess off easily later when it is time for the standing seam? If I leave the ice and water shield in place, what should I use as a slip between it and the copper? I really don't want to use the I&WS because of the thickness that will start to build up at the laps, etc.

Thanks,

Mike

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration