Do I need high back copper gutters ? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Ice and Water Membrane, Plywood, and other Controversies » Do I need high back copper gutters ? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Walter Musson
Username: Walter_musson

Post Number: 93
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 06:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Robin,
I'd bet they left off one course so that they could use those for replacements elsewhere in addition to needing some due to breakage during the removal.
If they didn't make you aware of the new look beforehand then you have reason to be dissatisfied.
Hopefully you have some leverage in that you haven't paid them in full yet.
As Joe pointed out a picture would be helpful.

Kurtis Hord
Username: Kwhord

Post Number: 80
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 04:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Your metal con only extend as high as the nails on the starter course. If it goes higher than that, it creates other problems.

Joe Jenkins
Username: Joe

Post Number: 313
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 02:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Robin - can you post a photo?

Robin
Username: Rlowry

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 11:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a 2nd Empire style home in Phila. and recently had new copper gutters installed and damaged slate replaced. The roofers changed the look of the roof by leaving off the lowest run of slates allowing approx. 12 inches of copper showing which is visible from the street. They insist that this is correct and the original design was faulty. I think it changes the architectural integrity. Any thoughts.

Anonymous
Posted on Tuesday, October 07, 2003 - 01:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just bought a 1928 shingle style house with vermont unfading green slate. It originaly had high back copper gutter's , they were cut off and replaced with aluminum. There are large gables on all four sides leaving very short runs for the gutters and very short or small soffits and eaves. This, I am told leads to ice damming here in Ohio and the remedie is an ice melt cable cliped to the slate. After reading articales on ths site I don't think I need the ice guard I was quoted, but do I need high back gutters? With ice guard i t runs 80 dollars a foot.

Thanks

Joe Jenkins
Posted on Tuesday, October 07, 2003 - 09:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What is the slope of the roof?

Anonymous
Posted on Wednesday, October 08, 2003 - 09:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Between 5 and 7 in 12.

Walter Musson
Posted on Friday, October 10, 2003 - 06:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

When you say high back gutters,do you refer to integralwooden gutters lined with copper?These would terminate up under the slate,making a watertight juncture between the two.Was the quote for relining the gutters with ice guard above that for added protection?

Anonymous
Posted on Friday, October 10, 2003 - 02:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't mean integral gutters as in box gutters. I was quoted the 6" k style copper gutter that seamlessly extends 8 to 12 inches under the slate and then 2 to 3 feet of ice guard over that. The bottom 3 or 4 rows of slate would have to be removed and restored. The original copper is still there ( the part left after the first gutters were cut off.) I wonder if a drip edge could slip under the old copper?

Walter Musson
Posted on Friday, October 10, 2003 - 06:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Once you have the 3 or 4 courses of slates out you can easily remove the old copper so that the new can be fastened directly to the roof deck.
In Maine I would use Grace above the copper,cause our Winters can be severe.You'll have to judge how bad your Winters are and decide whether 30 lb. felt is adequate.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration