Leaking flat roof where it meets slat... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Ice and Water Membrane, Plywood, and other Controversies » Leaking flat roof where it meets slate roof « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

RobertBlakemore
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2003 - 08:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

When my contractor put a new membrane on the flat roof he sealed the perimeter where it meets the 65 year old slate roof with silicone caulk. During severe rain and wind conditions, water leaks into rooms covered by the flat roof. I believe that water that gets behind the slates travels down the felt, hits the silicone water damn and and finds its way into the house. Shouldn't the contractor have run some flashing up under the felt and out onto the membrane, instead of forming this water damn? The slate is over tongue and groove sheathing, felt, and copper flashing under the bottom two courses. What do I do now to stop the leaking?

Walter Musson
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2003 - 12:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

When I install .060 membrane,which is fully adhered,I always pull two courses of slates and let the membrane extend up the roof then reslate those lowest two courses.In this way their is no flashing required.The slate conducts water down onto the membrane in a continuous fashion,just as you would want any roofing to be laid down.
Perhaps your contractor didn't have familiarity with dealing with slate.

Robert Blakemore
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2003 - 10:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Walter. The contractor is no longer in business. When you reinstall the upper coarse of slates, do you use slate hooks on each slate or the nail/bib method?

Angela Thompson
Posted on Thursday, September 29, 2005 - 03:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I need to put on a new flat room in my row home in Baltimore. Please tell me what materials to buy and the quality of them. Thanks

Anonymous
Posted on Friday, September 30, 2005 - 07:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You need to provide more information about your flat roof and surrounding roofs, adjoining roofs and if there are roofs above this flat roof and what type of material is on the roofs above this flat roof you want to change. There is differant types of materials to use for differant types of situations.

admin
Posted on Friday, September 30, 2005 - 10:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What size is the flat roof? The best approach to replacing a flat roof is to install flat-lock (soldered seam) 20 ounce copper or terne coated stainless steel. There is information about this process in the slate roof bible (http://www.jenkinsslate.com/store_books.html#srb).

Michaela Gutmann
Posted on Thursday, February 16, 2006 - 02:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello,

I was advised to silicone the entire slate roof so the water runs better off the slate and its lifespan is longer.
I have never heard about siliconing a slate roof is it worse the 500$ he would charge to do this job.

Thanks

admin
Posted on Saturday, February 18, 2006 - 12:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It's a waste of money.

Anonymous
Posted on Saturday, February 18, 2006 - 10:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

slate dosen't need a sealer/protector. And as far has water running off better I doubt it. Water runs off slate very nicely left in it's natual state, and it dosen't cost additional$$$.

Michaela Gutmann
Posted on Monday, February 20, 2006 - 12:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

thank you very much! I will take your advise not to silicone my roof!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration