Tar on Slate Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Ice and Water Membrane, Plywood, and other Controversies » Tar on Slate « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

thinkinaboutitmakesmetard
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2003 - 01:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The prior owner of this house covered the entire slate roof with thick tar about 40 years ago. Is there any hope of restoring it? Or must I remove it and start from scratch?

SlateGuy@neslate.com
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2003 - 01:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Methinks that it must be completely removed...

SlateGuy

admin
Posted on Saturday, August 02, 2003 - 12:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Most people simply wait the fifty years or so that it takes to wear off . They have to look at the tar all their lives, however. Once slate has been tarred you can't do much with it other than replace it if you want it to look good.

Darren bessey
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2003 - 09:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Good Day:

I have a similar problem, though not nearly as extenisve. My previous owner put some tar in between some slates near the edge of the roof. I was wondering, is it safe to uise a solvent to dissolve the tar from the slates? I assume most lacquer thinners etc would have no detremental effect on the slates??? (House and roof are 100 years old,(built 1902) slate supposedly shipped from Wales,,,dark grey in colour...no signs of delamination yet)

Thanks

Darren Bessey

Darren Bessey

Anonymous
Posted on Wednesday, March 08, 2006 - 03:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello. We jsut had extensive slate repair done, and our roof has 2 hexagonal bays that stand out the full height of the house, so they meet the actual roof, not just the lower wall.

the contractor tarred over the joints on top of the ridges, which looks ugly to me, but is that even the proper way to install slate on a "peak"?

Anonymous
Posted on Wednesday, March 08, 2006 - 06:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

NO-WAY, NO-WAY and NO-WAY That is only a temporary solution to a permenant problem. Folks that do that, do not know what they are doing. Especially a restoration or a new slate roof job. It should (the slate) butt at the ridge with copper under-neath it. Or have a slight overlap towards the rear side of house. Or a "showing" copper ridge cap-with maybe a vent system built in. We never tar the ridge slate--NEVER. The only time we may--may do it, is when we are trying to hold someone's roof over from leaking until we can get there to do the job PERMENANTLY.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration