Replacing Ridge Cap method OK? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Ice and Water Membrane, Plywood, and other Controversies » Replacing Ridge Cap method OK? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Joe (Joe)
Username: Joe

Post Number: 461
Posted on Monday, October 05, 2009 - 02:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Have you checked out this web page about slate hips and ridges: http://www.slateroofcentral.com/install_hips_ridges.htm

Slate_man (Slate_man)
Username: Slate_man

Post Number: 491
Posted on Monday, October 05, 2009 - 04:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Have a piture of what you have done? Do you have the Slate Roofs book, Joe has them for sale too.

Did you start the cap like you started the roof? Are you adding flashing? Did you install a lath strip.

Andrew_wellman (Andrew_wellman)
Username: Andrew_wellman

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, October 05, 2009 - 12:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello, I just did my first slate roof based on Tools and the Slate roof Bible from Joseph Jenkins. The roof is 9sq, 6.5/12, 4"head lap, 10x16 standard slates. I am working on the ridge and it seems a bit of a mystery even with the slate roof bible. I am cutting the slates in half length wise, with a 6' show and over lapping the left course with the right and using clear silicon in the seam. Does any on have a well explained methodology or a list of things you should be careful of. This seams to be the black whole in the slate roof bible. The ridge seems to be more primitive than than the rest of the roof techique.

andy

Tom Moore
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2003 - 09:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My roof ridge cap and 5 dormer caps are 90 years old and are showing wear? The contractor I contacted to replace these caps said it's a 3 step process.
1)Remove old Cap
2)Adhere a piece of 45 Mil EPDM membrane over the ridge with bonding adhesive and lap the membrane with splice cement.
3)Fabricate and install a new 16Oz. copper ridge cap fastened with copper neoprene nails.
Is that all there is to it or should I be looking at the roof ventalation needs?
Any feedback would be appreciated!

Walter Musson
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2003 - 12:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Step two is totally unnecessary.Who are these guys??
Roof ventilation needs are another matter which you may or may not need.

admin
Posted on Saturday, August 02, 2003 - 12:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Step two is totally unnecessary. You simply remove the old ridge metal, repair any broken slates, and then nail new stuff in place, copper recommended. Use 2.5" copper nails. They don't need to be gasketed - you can caulk the nail heads with lifetime silicon after the metal is nailed into place. The roof does not need to be ventilated via the ridge. It hasn'e been so far and after 90 years why would you think it should be now? Vent out your gable ends or out roof vents if you want additional ventilation.

Joe Jenkins

Dino
Posted on Saturday, August 02, 2003 - 08:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi guys... thought I'd stop in to say hey.
I agree with Joe and Walter. Granted, my slate roofing experience is limited to one very huge roof which I was on for a year, but I did all the copper ridge work on that house and it's doing fine. I had to do a build up of 2"x4"'s on this roof to secure the copper, but all I used was stainless screws with a rubber bonded washer.
It worked excellent!

Venting... hmm I think I'd have to ask what is there already? If you're just duplicating an exsisting ridge, and venting hasn't been a problem, then you're probably OK.

I must say I'd welcome the opportunity to do another slate roof any day! They're worthy of the work. Quality and simplicity. I love slate!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration