20 oz Copper vs. 24 gau Stainless Steel Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Ice and Water Membrane, Plywood, and other Controversies » 20 oz Copper vs. 24 gau Stainless Steel « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ward Hamilton
Username: Olde_mohawk_masonry__historic_restoration

Post Number: 19
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 06:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you for your thoughts. We met Saturday and its a 12x18 VT purple with green mottled through. Flashings are stainless. Ridges are slated and hips mitred.... metal is minimal.

Slate Affair Inc.
Username: Slate_man

Post Number: 191
Posted on Thursday, March 20, 2008 - 06:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I would do closed valley's to hide all flashing if you use ss. If you use copper do open valley's, maybe some block copper on the front entry or SS panels. Also you could do some nice details with copper on the two story bay window. Will you redo the skyligth with copper details? Well this all if you are going with copper. If you go with the ss hide it.

carlos torres
Username: Slatesergen

Post Number: 15
Posted on Sunday, March 16, 2008 - 07:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

walter loves the easy way out

Walter Musson
Username: Walter_musson

Post Number: 51
Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 06:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ward,
That was my point -- he wants to do the specc'ing. He sees you as the installer, not the specifier.

Ward Hamilton

Post Number: 16
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 10:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the input, guys.

Customer is leaning toward Vermont green mottled with some purple, 12 x 18s. No plans (that I know of) to paint the house. I'm not deadset against the idea, I am just searching for input from anyone who might know of any pros or cons when comparing copper with stainless.

We've relined built in gutters with stainless before (not visible from the street), but never replaced visible, copper flashings with it. The ridges will be slated and few hips mitred--maybe we should install hidden valleys? (no flashing visible?)

There is an upside to working with a customer who's an engineer: Everything is spec'd out to the last detail. While some may hate that kind of business arrangement, I embrace it. Takes out the guesswork and eliminates the "Oh, I didn't think you were going to do that!" factor.

Slate Affair Inc.
Username: Slate_man

Post Number: 183
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 05:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What is the slate color that will be use on this project? Is the house getting painted, is there drip, metal cap? Stainless looks more like Aluminum! Just like you said very little flashing, so why is the client worried about the small cost of what every metal is going to be used.

Walter Musson
Advanced Member
Username: Walter_musson

Post Number: 46
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 04:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ward,
Don't even bother to get into a discussion. Give him stainless.
You'll have less headaches -- he's an engineer right.
Think about it -- I bet he thinks he has much knowledge-- so why fight it.
Stainless will be fine.

Kurtis Hord
Intermediate Member
Username: Kwhord

Post Number: 35
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 11:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Old money has a copper roof, but it's not for show. You can't see it from the street.

Ward Hamilton

Post Number: 14
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 07:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, Carlos.

carlos torres
Username: Slatesergen

Post Number: 8
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 10:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

rich people like copper not a shinny stove on their roof
stainless has no color change, nothing to wait for

Ward Hamilton

Post Number: 13
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 08:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We're re-roofing a 21 year old house (was asphalt shingle) outside of Boston this Spring. The customer is an engineer and pretty sharp fella. He had a good question which, frankly, I'm not sure how to answer:

"With copper prices soaring high, why would one use 20 oz copper flashing instead of 24 gau stainless?"

BESIDES THE FACT that it may not be what we 'expect' to see, what IS the reasoning (pros/cons)? I'd like you guys to weigh in on this one. As you'll see in the picture, below, flashing details are minimal and not a prominent feature on the roof (we're doing mitred hips.)

Front elevation   |    Bernhardt

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration