Need videos/pictures on mitered hip i... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Quality of Roofing Slate » Need videos/pictures on mitered hip installation method « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Outdoorsman44 (Outdoorsman44)
Username: Outdoorsman44

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, June 23, 2016 - 05:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here are a few pics of a mitered hip w/step flashing.
These were cut with a slate cutter then trimmed with a stake& hammer face side up. Also, a wet saw/ tile saw can be used to achieve a very tight fitting joint if needed
After fitting into place,Most of the hip slates were fastened by drilling a1/8" hole followed up by using a 3/8" bit to countersink for the nail. The bits were masonry type.
Finally for those of you that noticed,the entire roof surface is covered in a ice & water membrane. To make matters worse, it is covering a 5/8" plywood deck spaced 2'OC.
That's todays Architects, smarter than everyone on the job

Cinzia (Cinzia)
Username: Cinzia

Post Number: 7
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2014 - 02:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Amazing Ray, congratulation!

Cinzia (Cinzia)

Post Number: 6
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2014 - 02:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The only reason why I would want to live as long as a Vampire does, it is to enjoy my slate roof.
Will keep everyone posted with pics. Thank you for the support.

Old_school (Old_school)
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 1069
Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2014 - 10:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

WOW!

Joe (Joe)
Username: Joe

Post Number: 826

Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2014 - 09:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here are some mitered hip photos showing the masterful work of Ray Kroeck in California.

Old_school (Old_school)

Post Number: 1067
Posted on Sunday, June 15, 2014 - 09:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cinzia, It depends on the size of the dormer. the ones I will send you pictures of were small and the saddle ridge would have been too "large" for them. We are installing copper on the sides to break it up a bit too, and making sure the copper ribs are in proportion to the size of the dormer. A reason for everything!

Cinzia (Cinzia)

Post Number: 5
Posted on Sunday, June 15, 2014 - 10:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Old school what would be your preference: mitered or saddle method for the hips and ridge? I am thinking mitered hips with copper ridge or saddle hips and ridge. Being a bungalow I think the saddle look might be too heavy and I have to take in consideration weather conditions. Thank you.

Cinzia (Cinzia)

Post Number: 4
Posted on Sunday, June 15, 2014 - 10:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you Old school my e-mail address is cinzia@scalabrini.ca
Look forward to the pics. Thank you.

Old_school (Old_school)

Post Number: 1066
Posted on Saturday, June 14, 2014 - 09:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cinzia, if you can email me I can send you a link to my Picasa site and then you can see one if that would help. I have tried to post pictures on this site and for some reason I am not successful. John R. Crookston Old School

Old_school (Old_school)

Post Number: 1065
Posted on Saturday, June 14, 2014 - 09:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ah, I know what you need! When you install the slates, make sure you install a piece of metal BENEATH them so that it covers the slate just installed (the top) and is covered by the slate you install next. Individual ridge metal pieces as it were. 4" 's on each side apx. so about 8 inches total width, and then about 12" long so that you can nail them above the slates you just put on. This will seal the ridge from water as anything that gets through will just run on the top of the metal and onto the slate below.

Save your wide slates for the ridges, as it is easier to have a full piece instead of two smaller ones there.

Cinzia (Cinzia)

Post Number: 3
Posted on Saturday, June 14, 2014 - 09:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Old school, thank you for your reply. I am about an hour away from Toronto (Canada). My concern with mitered installation is the possibility of the water seeping underneath the slate freezing lifting and/or breaking the tiles. I do not know how to properly protect the hip, prior slate installation, from this issue. Perhaps is advisable to go with the saddle hip method. I have a bungalow and I think the mitered look would be better as less bulky and "cleaner". Thank you for your advice.

Cinzia (Cinzia)

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, June 14, 2014 - 09:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Milo, yes I have purchased Joe bible book. I will take a look at the other one you suggest. Thank you.

Old_school (Old_school)

Post Number: 1064
Posted on Friday, June 13, 2014 - 08:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bring the pieces together and trim them until they fit nicely, then move to the next row. If it was wooden trim, we would say "beat to meet, and patch to match!" You may want to cut from the front side of the slates on the mitred hip as that will give you a sharp edge to trim to. In all other cases, you will want to cut from the back side.

Milo (Milo)
Username: Milo

Post Number: 23
Posted on Friday, June 13, 2014 - 04:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Have you bought Joes book?: http://josephjenkins.com/store/Slate_Roofing_Books/

As a non professional slater I also found this book very helpful (although some of the info in it is contrary to what is found in Joes book...in these cases I go with the what Joe recommends).: http://www.neslate.com/books-for-sale/48-the-slate-book

With the above books and the advice found on this forum and website you should be able to get a good grasp on how to layout and execute a slate roof, including the installation of mitered hips.

MILO

(Message edited by milo on June 13, 2014)

Cinzia (Cinzia)

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, June 13, 2014 - 03:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I like to do my own slate roof (never done one and I am not a roofer). So, now you know you need to talk to me like you would to a five year old. Can anyone please tell me how the slate mitered hip is installed? I saw the saddle hip installation, however I cannot find videos/photos on the mitered method. Thank you much. Cinzia

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration