SALVAGED SLATE Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Quality of Roofing Slate » SALVAGED SLATE « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ohioandy (Ohioandy)
Username: Ohioandy

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, October 20, 2012 - 05:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

testing. replying to my own post. testing

Joe (Joe)
Username: Joe

Post Number: 735
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2012 - 10:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You have a VT sea green slate on the left and a PA Bangor black on the right. The VT slate is typically good for re-installation. The Bangor slate is good for repairing Bangor roofs, but not really worth using for a reinstallation.

Have you read the chapter on recycling roofing slate in the Slate Roof Bible?

Joe (Joe)
Username: Joe

Post Number: 734
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2012 - 10:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This came to me via email:

What are the signs that salvaged slate is NOT worth re-using? I figure it's reasonable to expect another century of life from a roof
installation, and I don't want to waste my time with slate that will not last. I've acquired a mixed collection of used slate--below are pics
showing the front and back of two specimens.

I am in northwest Ohio, and have no idea where this slate was quarried. I do know that it's been exposed to the weather for 100-130 years.

Besides age, other areas of concern are the dusty disintegration of surface layers and the blown out nail holes due to bad salvage technique.
This doesn't occur on all the slates, but it's common enough.

When is using salvage too much work or risk? What is the threshold of rejection for salvaged slate?

I couldn't find a discussion of the issue on this message board--please point me in the direction of online resources if they exist.

Thanks so much for any educated opinions.

front

back

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration