Imported roofing slate we need regula... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Quality of Roofing Slate » Imported roofing slate we need regulations « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

China_ad_slate (China_ad_slate)
Username: China_ad_slate

Post Number: 9
Posted on Friday, April 01, 2011 - 02:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Vermont in USA, Shanxi in China and wales in UK possesed long history of Slate Mining. And the quality are good. Water absorption of Slate produced in Spain is 0.3%. More info, pls send me email: nancy@adslate.net
Nancy Rao
Shanghai AD slate Co., Ltd
ASTM-S1/EN12326 T1 S1 A1
Roofing slate manufacturer.
WEB: www.cnslate.com
TEL: 86-21-61910796
FAX: 86-21-62199550

Minasslate (Minasslate)
Username: Minasslate

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, August 31, 2009 - 11:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello everybody,
My name is Jeovan and I am an export manager from Minas Slate (Minas Mundo Ltda), Brazil (www.minasslate.com ).
Our company has own slate quarries and we export natural Brazilian slates of high quality and good prices for more than 5 years all over the world.
We produce slate roofing, flooring, slabs, mosaics, flagstones, etc. in colors: absolute black, black graphite (Montauk lack), grey (Montauk blue), green, multicolor (rusty) and purple.
For future information, as price lists, pictures, samples request, delivery terms and conditions, etc. - you can contact me via sales@minasslate.com or skype - brazilianslate.

I hope you will be interested to work with us, and you can have the best Brazilian slate products direct from quarries, avoiding retailers.

Old_school (Old_school)
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 205
Posted on Wednesday, August 05, 2009 - 05:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well said by all. If you don't know slate, you should surely know your slate supplier. There is a sucker born every minute, and there are also people willing to sell anything for a quick buck regardless of the problems associated with it in the future. Let the buyer beware!

Ben_at_hispanica_slate (Ben_at_hispanica_slate)
Username: Ben_at_hispanica_slate

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, August 05, 2009 - 01:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi everyone, I agree with Virginia slate and Branden that no logical mind will assume all Brazilian, all US or all Spanish slate is good or bad, both good and bad are available from all origins, the question is has the buyer done his homework in finding a good source.
There are many trains of thought which say that all welsh slate is perfect but many people dont realise that there were over thirty slate quarries in wales alone until their closure for quality or workability issues; most of the poor quality Spanish slate quarries shave also dissapeared and this will eventually happen in China and Brasil as well, what keeps these low quality slate quarries going for so long is the lack of due dilligence carried out by importers which find them, import their slates after previous importers have had their fingers burnt ( assuming they stood by their guarantee to the final client and actually lost money ) this is the problem. many Brazilian slates are fine as long as you avoid all burgundy and most of the green.
Spanish slate. you are usually safer with the grey as opposed to the black, but there are exceptions in both cases, with regard to the pyrites, well in general you need to avoid them but again there are slates which have pyrites but will never rust, but the majority have a weakness on coastal regions.
In short, you cannot categorise unless you know the history of the qality of the slate of the exact quarry in question, our speciality is Spanish slate only.

Virginiaslate (Virginiaslate)
Username: Virginiaslate

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, July 08, 2009 - 03:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I want to thank Branden Wilson for his comments on natural roofing slate. Slate is a product of nature not of what country's flag flies over it. Our company started with a quarry here in Buckingham VA but found that we were not able to find the consistant quality that we wanted.
There are some wonderful products around the world and some crumy ones too, even from here in the United States, but a craftsman that has installed it will be able to tell the difference.

Bsc (Bsc)
Username: Bsc

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, June 10, 2009 - 09:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We feel that the best slate is found here in the United States. Unfortunately, many of the foreign materials being brought in have not stood the test of time that products like Buckingham Slate have gone through here in the United States. There are a lot of advertised "unfading" foreign products that havent come through in that regard.

Branden_wilson (Branden_wilson)
Username: Branden_wilson

Post Number: 27
Posted on Wednesday, June 03, 2009 - 06:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i think most homeowners are too quick to trust imported slate and most people in the slate roofing industry are too quick to dismiss it. i have installed several domestic and imported slate roofs and yes, most of the slate i've seen from brazil is substandard but i have seen some great slate come from there as well. i've also seen great slate from china and even south africa. some of the best slates i've ever touched were imported, let's not forget wales is not in the us. it seems to me that it's preconceived political notions rather than wise, thourough investigation that leads to the dismissal of imported slate. any of us that claim to be slaters should easily be able to evaluate slate quality and should not be afraid that we will be sold and install some bad slate! don't be skird, the chinese don't make the slate, they just mine it. we can't help where the best slate formed, we can only appreciate it.

Stone__slate (Stone__slate)
Username: Stone__slate

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, May 26, 2009 - 07:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

what about the other test reports - A1, T1, S1

Paramount Slate
Username: Paramount_slate

Post Number: 6
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 07:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ASTM S1 Quality Reports which indicate the quality. Top quality is not cheap, but protect your value of roof. Carefully quarry and handle, to secure our guarantee and service.
application/pdfASTM S1-Dark Gray
Dark Gray ASTM S1.pdf (47.4 k)

application/pdfASTM S1 Gray Green
Gray Green ASTM S1.pdf (47.2 k)

application/pdfASTM S1-Midnight Black
Midnight Black ASTM S1.pdf (47.0 k)

David
Username: Uslate

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 05:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We are top leader slate supplier from China. We offer you the best slate with very competitive price. If you are interested in it, please send me mail or visit our website http://www.uslate.com,

Steve Taran Jr.
Posted on Saturday, January 21, 2006 - 09:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There needs to be some kind of correct advertising or regulations on imported roofing slate. There are many people out there selling it and comparing it to slate from the northeast. This is not right when Northeastern slate has stood the test of time and imported slate has not!but is sharing the credit. It's like selling knock off watches just because they say rolex does not mean they are.
What I have seen and heard about most imported slate,it does not even last 3 years on a roof.So on a million dollar home do you think the homeowner or contractor is going to reccommend slate??? if it's reputation of 100 year roof only last three years..

The latest thing that I have seen is people selling foreign black roofing slate and passing it off for unfading Vermont black. And some of the area's biggest brokers are guilty of this. I feel that when people such as brokers, contractors, distributors,homeowners and inexperienced roofers hear roofing slate. They think slate is slate. And being that northeastern slate has been around for a 100 +years this is what they compare it to. They figure that every slate will last as long as northeastern slate, "because slate is slate right it all comes out of the ground". Well this is not true, and something needs to be done. I'm trying to bid on the job right now and compete with supplying Vermont slate against imported Chinese slate and of course my bid is higher on 150 squares but all the contractor and homeowner figure is slate is slate.

When asphalt shingles are sold, they say right on the package. This is a 25 year 50 year or 100 year shingle And a company can not get away with selling asphalt shingles that last 25 years but stating that there a 100 material.
And try to get a 75 to 100 warranty out of a forign slate company,GOOD LUCK Vermont slate companys will do it in a second. And they will be around to back it.

Steve T Jr.
Posted on Saturday, January 21, 2006 - 09:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I posted this in another section and is why I wrote the above

I have gotten several roofing slate samples from quarrys in Brazil and they were no were near the quality of vermont roofing slate. They where soft and sounded like a piece of wood when tapped on the slate did not have a nice solid sound to it at all. I left these sample out side and in a bout a year the where flaking and crumbling apart. Brazil slate might be good for interior work but I would not put it on a roof.
As of now I know of three Brazilian slate roofs this yearalone each over 100 squares and the oldest being 3 years old and the are all being replaced due to slate failure each in a different part of the USA. Now I am a fourth generation slate man and my Famllies quarrys, Taran Brothers slate has been around for over 75 years and has never had a slate roof fail or one that needs to be replaced. The test of time speaks for itself and foreign slate does not compare to northeastern slate. I feel people sell it 1.they make more money on it 2.cheaper to offer to homeowners. 3.Shorter time frames

Anonymous
Posted on Saturday, May 06, 2006 - 11:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am a novice and have only just found that I have to replace the old vermont slate roof on my house. The roof is beautiful and 80 years old, but we have done a ton of renovation and additions and everyone seems to tell me the roof has to be replaced. Is there any way at all to buy the Vermont slate at discount? The ads for Chinese slate all say "same quality as Vermont at much lower price". That is very appealing to home owner swallowing deep over price of Vermont?

Anonymous
Posted on Saturday, May 06, 2006 - 03:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Spend the extra money for the Vermont or North Country Slate ect.. or even a good quality salvaged Vermont slate and help out your fellow Americans..Although you must be certain you ask for true Vermont slate,because some of the Slate Companies also sell Imported slate.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration